JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #1  

ChuckB72

Tractor
JD 4600
I have a 2000 4600 HST that is sluggish when changing directions from forward to reverse and visversa. I have had the tractor about 4 months and up until the last week or two it has worked fine. It does't seem to be as bad when it is cold. I took it to the dealer a week ago and they changed the fluid and filter and said they couldn't get it to act up. I drove it back to my shop about a quarter mile away, put a blade on it started blading and it seemed to be working normal. About 5 to 10 minutes later and several times of changing directions it started acting up again. When it happens and you chang directions, there is a lag of about 3 to 4 seconds before the tractor starts moving in the opposite direction. Any Ideas? Please

Chuck

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #2  
l haven't had any trouble with the HST drive on mine, but i would like to know what you figure out. Have you checked the linkage? Sorry i can't help. Anyone else have a suggestion?

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #3  
On the 4x10 series there is return springs that push the pedal back up. I wonder if the 4x00 series is the same. Could the linkage need a shot of lube?? I am fairly sure that it would not let you go in 2 directions at once.

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions
I have checked the linkage and it appears to be ok. The pedals move fine. It acts more like it a hydro problem. There is an electro-magnet along side the foward pedal that seems to have a nut broken off of it, letting it rub against the side of the pedal arm. I'm not sure what its function is.

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #5  
That electromagnet is the cruise control. There is a micro switch under there as well but i think thats for neutral start. Wish i could be more help.

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #6  
this is a diagram of what hst pedals should like. With tractor engine off, move each pedal and watch the movements of linkages to hydro.

MP28035________UN25APR02.gif

/ JD 4600 HST sluggish when changing directions #7  
Aren't there poteniometers below the HST pedals?
Seems like I've read threads about this...they were concerning the 4300 or 4400, IIRC.

Aren't there poteniometers below the HST pedals?
Seems like I've read threads about this...they were concerning the 4300 or 4400, IIRC.

This model doesn't have the poteniometers.

That electromagnet is the cruise control. There is a micro switch under there as well but i think thats for neutral start. Wish i could be more help.

That makes sense. I should have thought of that myself.

I did forget to mention that when the tractor does start moving that it will get up to speed where ever you have the pedal set. It just takes it a while to get there. And once you get up to speed and you start up a hill or put a load on, it doesn't seem to slip. When you let off the forward pedal sometimes it doesn't seem to slow down as fast as does when its working right.