Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
I finally found time to install the remote spout control on my 2720 with 54" blower. The instructions were a bit confusing as they included a lot of extra hardware. It was a bit of a challenge to determine exactly which hardware was applicable to my tractor. I got it figured out and installed but I am a bit disappointed with the functionality.

The main issue is the control works very hard. The instructions state to bolt the bracket to the left front floorboard. The problem is it works so hard that using just my left hand it causes the floorboard to flex enough that I doubt the spot weld holding the floor board mounting bolt would last one season. If I reach over and support the bracket with my right hand while pulling the lever in and out with my left hand it reduced the flex. Thank goodness it is tall enough to allow me to reach over. I'm not sure why they have you bolt it to such a flimsy piece of sheet metal. I was able to take advantage of some of the information I found on-line and I routed the cable away from the exhaust pipe to prevent it melting. The JD instructions has you literally running the cable right across the exhaust opening.

The control cable seems way too long. I understand the remote control can be used on various tractor models but given how much extra cable there is on my 2720/54" combo, what tractor/blower combo would need all the extra length? It's like 20+ inches too long. I'm certain the control would work much easier if the cable had a more direct route to the spout. As you can see in the photos it has quite a contorted journey on it's way from the handle to the blower.

I will reserve final judgement until the first big snow. I'm sure it will be better than getting on and off the tractor everytime I need to adjust the spout but I feel JD could have done a better job on the mounting and routing.

AB2E2294.jpg AB2E2297.jpg AB2E2301.jpg

AB2E2302.jpg AB2E2304.jpg

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #2  
How tight is the nut where the bracket at the end of the cable connects to the top of the chute? should be fairly loose. I usually put some grease on the bolt. You're right the cable is very long. did you try disconnecting the cable where it connects to the chute and see if it frees up?

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control
How tight is the nut where the bracket at the end of the cable connects to the top of the chute? should be fairly loose. I usually put some grease on the bolt. You're right the cable is very long. did you try disconnecting the cable where it connects to the chute and see if it frees up?

Yes, the nut is loose. I need to do as you suggest and remove that bolt to recheck the binding in the cable. There does seem to be a bit of binding at the chute tip as the geometry between where the cable pulls and the pivot point and guide slots is not the greatest.

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #4  
You buy your tractor in Halifax?

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #6  
I may be all wet, but I would think that the control should be connected as near as possible to the end of the chute. That would give more leverage and thus reduce the pull.

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #7  
Definately a worthwhile addition, going to see about getting one for the 60" blower and 955. Probably have to adapt the tractor end mount, no big deal, it will sure beat getting off/on the tractor constantly.

Ed

/ Disappointed with JD Remote Spout Control #8  
How tight are the bolts in the radiused slots on the spout? I had to loosen mine quite a bit so it wouldn't bind. I agree it's hard to pull/push but it sure beats getting out of the warm cab to adjust!

How tight are the bolts in the radiused slots on the spout? I had to loosen mine quite a bit so it wouldn't bind. I agree it's hard to pull/push but it sure beats getting out of the warm cab to adjust!

I have them fairly loose. Plus I have some white grease on the slots. I agree it is still going to beat getting on and off the tractor. I have to adjust my spout height about 3 times with each pass of the driveway - sometimes more often depending on how the wind is blowing. This will be my first season with the whole setup so undoubtably there may be some tweaks required. Nothing ever works perfect first time out of the gate.

I may be all wet, but I would think that the control should be connected as near as possible to the end of the chute. That would give more leverage and thus reduce the pull.

Perhaps. The mounting you see is as per the JD instructions and uses existing holes and bolts of the chute. The only drilling required was to mount the handle support to the left floor board.

Keep in mind that if the cable connection were out near the end of the chute it would either require a longer cable or a different achoring point so maintain a full range of chute movement.