5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #1  

Creekpaddler

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5225; JD F925; JD X360
Yesterday my 5225 stopped moving forward while I was mowing my lawn. I could get it to move a few feet in both directions for about a minute before it would stop. Then I'd change direction, it would move a few feet again, then it stopped moving completely. When I put the shifter lever into Neutral, the "N" (neutral) light on the display panel had gone out. The engine runs fine.
Has anybody had this experience and/or have tips for troubleshooting this? :(

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #2  
First check your trans oil level.
Since the neutral light is not functioning correctly I suspect the F-N-R linkage might be out of adjustment.
Is your clucth pedal working OK, NOT sticking down?

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move
The trans oil level is OK, and the clutch pedal is working OK – it is not sticking down. And this is becoming more interesting. Last night I started the engine so I could check the instrument display. I found that several things no longer work:
Tachometer: no reading; the MFWD light does not come on when the switch is moved to ON; and both the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge do not work. I let engine idle for about 10 minutes and the temp needle never moved (air temp was 39 degrees F). All of those lights and gauges worked before the power reverser quit working. The headlights, tail lights, and dashboard light still work.
So this is looking like an electrical problem. What would cause those lights/gauges to stop working? Could it be the alternator? Or is it something else?

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #4  
So this is looking like an electrical problem. What would cause those lights/gauges to stop working? Could it be the alternator? Or is it something else?

Check battery voltage with tractor off.
Check system voltage with engine running.
Check all fuses.

Could be a hundred other things but start there.

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #5  
Does sound electrical now. Never thought to ask if your reverser is mechanical linkage or electrical, oops! As said check fuses, connections, broken wires that might have been pulled off by sticks etc, or mice chewed wiring. Good luck.

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #6  
You mow your lawn with a 5225?

Battery voltage is 12.6 V. System voltage is 14.6 V. Tomorrow I look at fuses and wiring harnesses.
Can anybody give me a link to the wiring diagrams for the JD 5225 straddle mount? Those would come in handy tomorrow.

Yes, I use a 3-PT-mounted 6-foot Sitrex-180 finish mower to do about 5 acres. Then I use a 6-foot bush hog to knock down about 25 acres of grass.

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #9  
Yes, I use a 3-PT-mounted 6-foot Sitrex-180 finish mower to do about 5 acres. Then I use a 6-foot bush hog to knock down about 25 acres of grass.

That's awesome! Sorry I'm not help for your electric problem.

/ 5225 power reverser not working - tractor won't move #10  
Oh deere. The power reverser has so many components... Since you are having accompaning electrical issues I suspect all the issues have the same root problem. Power reverser has a pair of electronic controlled clutches that select forward- reverse. With the electrical description, I suspect a failed ground connection somewhere. Check all the lower/exposed connectors Use a flshlight and do a lot of wiggeling. If you can, have someone watch the instruments while you wiggle the wires. If you do this while the engine is running, make certain the tractor CAN NOT MOVE.

Good luck/