Flumoxed about Float

/ Flumoxed about Float #1  

LJH

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
I'll preface by admitting my gift for overlooking the obvious and generally low intelligence level in order to save y'all having to point those out. :laughing:

Baby John: JD 3120 TLB (2005 model).

We're having a swell time getting used to each other. Little backhoe runs flawlessly and the 300CX loader works great too but I assumed it didn't have a float option. After re-reading the manual I notice that the float position is mentioned but only in passing and with no specifics.

I'm doing fine moving stuff around and backdragging by adjusting the bucket to 'float' manually, but pushing the joystick all the way forward just raises the front of the tractor. Am I missing something, is BJ missing something, or are the 300CXs floatless?

/ Flumoxed about Float #2  
Push the Joy Stick farther forward. Experiment with the tractor engine off. You will feel a "click" when you push it far enough.... It will detent in this position.

/ Flumoxed about Float
I knew that.

:eek: No. No, I didn't. :eek: Thank you gentlemen, for the info and also for not using disparaging emoticoms in your answers. :laughing:

I'm tied up with the day job for the next several hours, will proceed with the floating after work and report back.

/ Flumoxed about Float #5  
On quite a few backhoes, you can float the main boom as well.

/ Flumoxed about Float #6  
Float on the laoder going forward does not work, or works very limited. It is designed to allow the bucket to follow contour of the ground when going backwards. When trying to go forward the bucket digs in and forward movement of the tractor allow the front of the tractor to raise off the ground. You can sometimes float going forward but it requires very precise positioning of the bucket lip so it just pushes material forward but not try to dig or load the bucket.

/ Flumoxed about Float #7  
Float on the laoder going forward does not work, or works very limited. It is designed to allow the bucket to follow contour of the ground when going backwards. When trying to go forward the bucket digs in and forward movement of the tractor allow the front of the tractor to raise off the ground. You can sometimes float going forward but it requires very precise positioning of the bucket lip so it just pushes material forward but not try to dig or load the bucket.
Float works well going forward when pushing snow on a hard surface (such as a driveway or frozen ground). It can also work well on regular ground, but there is a fine line between riding over the ground and lifting the front into the air.

Aaron Z

/ Flumoxed about Float #8  
Floating the FEL is probably the most common question first-time tractor owners ask here. To float you must throw or ram the stick forward not just push it. It's a good idea to practice with the bucket or blade positioned 10-12 inches above ground. A good float will have it drop to the ground smoothly (as opposed to lowered) and rest there. When you do "float-intensive" work such as clearing snow you have to know how to do this on-the-fly in order to be productive. It's like riding a bike, appears tricky at first but once you master it you'll find it's easy and never have trouble again using it on any tractor or loader

/ Flumoxed about Float
Thanks again for all the replies, it's very much appreciated by this rookie. :thumbsup:

/ Flumoxed about Float #10  
This rookie appreciated the replies to this thread also. They helped a lot. Thanks.