Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Default Flumoxed about Float

I'll preface by admitting my gift for overlooking the obvious and generally low intelligence level in order to save y'all having to point those out.

Baby John: JD 3120 TLB (2005 model).

We're having a swell time getting used to each other. Little backhoe runs flawlessly and the 300CX loader works great too but I assumed it didn't have a float option. After re-reading the manual I notice that the float position is mentioned but only in passing and with no specifics.

I'm doing fine moving stuff around and backdragging by adjusting the bucket to 'float' manually, but pushing the joystick all the way forward just raises the front of the tractor. Am I missing something, is BJ missing something, or are the 300CXs floatless?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

Default Re: Flumoxed about Float

Push the Joy Stick farther forward. Experiment with the tractor engine off. You will feel a "click" when you push it far enough.... It will detent in this position.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

It takes a hard quick push forward.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

I knew that.

No. No, I didn't. Thank you gentlemen, for the info and also for not using disparaging emoticoms in your answers.

I'm tied up with the day job for the next several hours, will proceed with the floating after work and report back.

Elite Member

On quite a few backhoes, you can float the main boom as well.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Float on the laoder going forward does not work, or works very limited. It is designed to allow the bucket to follow contour of the ground when going backwards. When trying to go forward the bucket digs in and forward movement of the tractor allow the front of the tractor to raise off the ground. You can sometimes float going forward but it requires very precise positioning of the bucket lip so it just pushes material forward but not try to dig or load the bucket.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by SSdoxie View Post
    Float on the laoder going forward does not work, or works very limited. It is designed to allow the bucket to follow contour of the ground when going backwards. When trying to go forward the bucket digs in and forward movement of the tractor allow the front of the tractor to raise off the ground. You can sometimes float going forward but it requires very precise positioning of the bucket lip so it just pushes material forward but not try to dig or load the bucket.
    Float works well going forward when pushing snow on a hard surface (such as a driveway or frozen ground). It can also work well on regular ground, but there is a fine line between riding over the ground and lifting the front into the air.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Floating the FEL is probably the most common question first-time tractor owners ask here. To float you must throw or ram the stick forward not just push it. It's a good idea to practice with the bucket or blade positioned 10-12 inches above ground. A good float will have it drop to the ground smoothly (as opposed to lowered) and rest there. When you do "float-intensive" work such as clearing snow you have to know how to do this on-the-fly in order to be productive. It's like riding a bike, appears tricky at first but once you master it you'll find it's easy and never have trouble again using it on any tractor or loader
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Thanks again for all the replies, it's very much appreciated by this rookie.

Tractor
    Case 30b

This rookie appreciated the replies to this thread also. They helped a lot. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast