955 ROPS too low

/ 955 ROPS too low #1  

Dirtdeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
All Ag, 4 kubotas, 6 deere, reapers, harversters, threshers, hoes, etc
Does anyone else have a problem with the height of the ROPS on the 955? I have a model 7 backhoe and my head touches the ROPS while I'm using it. Gets uncomfortable ducking down. I'm thinking about adding about 4 inches to it to eliminate the problem. Has anyone done this?

/ 955 ROPS too low #2  
Does anyone else have a problem with the height of the ROPS on the 955? I have a model 7 backhoe and my head touches the ROPS while I'm using it. Gets uncomfortable ducking down. I'm thinking about adding about 4 inches to it to eliminate the problem. Has anyone done this?

There is (or was) an optional tall ROPS available for the x55 series for use with a backhoe. I fortune to have bought a 955 that had the tall ROPS on it already. Yes, the standard ROPS is way too short for comfortable use with the 7 backhoe. The tall ROPS provides plenty of headroom while seated on the 7 BH.

If you're handy with a welder, it would be pretty easy to add 4" to each upright, and section a piece out of the top bar of the ROPS.

/ 955 ROPS too low #3  
There is (or was) an optional tall ROPS available for the x55 series for use with a backhoe. I fortune to have bought a 955 that had the tall ROPS on it already. Yes, the standard ROPS is way too short for comfortable use with the 7 backhoe. The tall ROPS provides plenty of headroom while seated on the 7 BH.

If you're handy with a welder, it would be pretty easy to add 4" to each upright, and section a piece out of the top bar of the ROPS.
Wow... amazingly, the tall ROPS is still available from Deere for the low low price of $525. Part number AM119856

/ 955 ROPS too low #4  
Anyone have a ROPS for a 955 they don't need, my tractor had it removed before I got it. I would like to find one, I think the sway limiters attach to it also.

/ 955 ROPS too low #5  
I remember back in the 1990's when the 55 series tractors were new. There were always plenty of standard roll bars stacked behind the local JD dealer that had been removed to install the optional taller one. I would imagine they were probably all eventually sold for scrap.

/ 955 ROPS too low
I guess I'll just raise it. I'm thinking cut it on both sides, then weld a piece inside the existing box tube. Then i'll add the 4 inches. Slip the top section over the new inner box tube and weld it up. I'll prob grind the welds smooth so it should be undetectable that the raise was even done. Paint it that pretty green color and call it a day. That's the plan anyway.

/ 955 ROPS too low #7  
I guess I'll just raise it. I'm thinking cut it on both sides, then weld a piece inside the existing box tube. Then i'll add the 4 inches. Slip the top section over the new inner box tube and weld it up. I'll prob grind the welds smooth so it should be undetectable that the raise was even done. Paint it that pretty green color and call it a day. That's the plan anyway.

If you think you can cut and weld a rops in your home tinker shop and have it meet spec. forget about it.the tall rops from JD doesn't cost any more than your time and materials.

/ 955 ROPS too low
buickanddeere said:
If you think you can cut and weld a rops in your home tinker shop and have it meet spec. forget about it.the tall rops from JD doesn't cost any more than your time and materials.

I'm sure it won't meet factory spec but as a certified welder I feel I can get it as close as anyone can in my home "tinker shop". And my time is free to me, just like your opinion is to you.

/ 955 ROPS too low #9  
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ 955 ROPS too low #10  
Can anyone tell me what the height is on the tall one? I have one "off" my 955 because of a cozy cab. Plan on taking cab off and get a #7 backhoe. Would like to do any modifying needed before I bolt it back on... thanks! Bob