Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    All Ag, 4 kubotas, 6 deere, reapers, harversters, threshers, hoes, etc

Default 955 ROPS too low

Does anyone else have a problem with the height of the ROPS on the 955? I have a model 7 backhoe and my head touches the ROPS while I'm using it. Gets uncomfortable ducking down. I'm thinking about adding about 4 inches to it to eliminate the problem. Has anyone done this?

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Default Re: 955 ROPS too low

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdeere View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with the height of the ROPS on the 955? I have a model 7 backhoe and my head touches the ROPS while I'm using it. Gets uncomfortable ducking down. I'm thinking about adding about 4 inches to it to eliminate the problem. Has anyone done this?
    There is (or was) an optional tall ROPS available for the x55 series for use with a backhoe. I fortune to have bought a 955 that had the tall ROPS on it already. Yes, the standard ROPS is way too short for comfortable use with the 7 backhoe. The tall ROPS provides plenty of headroom while seated on the 7 BH.

If you're handy with a welder, it would be pretty easy to add 4" to each upright, and section a piece out of the top bar of the ROPS.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
    There is (or was) an optional tall ROPS available for the x55 series for use with a backhoe. I fortune to have bought a 955 that had the tall ROPS on it already. Yes, the standard ROPS is way too short for comfortable use with the 7 backhoe. The tall ROPS provides plenty of headroom while seated on the 7 BH.

If you're handy with a welder, it would be pretty easy to add 4" to each upright, and section a piece out of the top bar of the ROPS.
    Wow... amazingly, the tall ROPS is still available from Deere for the low low price of $525. Part number AM119856

Tractor
    JD/955

Anyone have a ROPS for a 955 they don't need, my tractor had it removed before I got it. I would like to find one, I think the sway limiters attach to it also.

Tractor
    John Deere 755 purchased new in 1993

I remember back in the 1990's when the 55 series tractors were new. There were always plenty of standard roll bars stacked behind the local JD dealer that had been removed to install the optional taller one. I would imagine they were probably all eventually sold for scrap.
    JD 755, 70 Loader, 60 inch MMM, Landpride rear blade, Modern box blade, Wallace subsoiler

Tractor

I guess I'll just raise it. I'm thinking cut it on both sides, then weld a piece inside the existing box tube. Then i'll add the 4 inches. Slip the top section over the new inner box tube and weld it up. I'll prob grind the welds smooth so it should be undetectable that the raise was even done. Paint it that pretty green color and call it a day. That's the plan anyway.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdeere View Post
    I guess I'll just raise it. I'm thinking cut it on both sides, then weld a piece inside the existing box tube. Then i'll add the 4 inches. Slip the top section over the new inner box tube and weld it up. I'll prob grind the welds smooth so it should be undetectable that the raise was even done. Paint it that pretty green color and call it a day. That's the plan anyway.
    If you think you can cut and weld a rops in your home tinker shop and have it meet spec. forget about it.the tall rops from JD doesn't cost any more than your time and materials.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere

If you think you can cut and weld a rops in your home tinker shop and have it meet spec. forget about it.the tall rops from JD doesn't cost any more than your time and materials.
    I'm sure it won't meet factory spec but as a certified welder I feel I can get it as close as anyone can in my home "tinker shop". And my time is free to me, just like your opinion is to you.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305, 600hr

Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    John Deere 955, John Deere 300B, John Deere 332

Can anyone tell me what the height is on the tall one? I have one "off" my 955 because of a cozy cab. Plan on taking cab off and get a #7 backhoe. Would like to do any modifying needed before I bolt it back on... thanks! Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast