Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default File under dumb questions

Would it do any harm to my 1070 if I were to cut off the top 3-4 inches of the exhaust stack where the turnout is and replace it with an old school exhaust rain cap? The bouncing of the old rain cap reminds me of seeing my Dad on his old Allis-Chalmers...it would make me think of him every time the key is turned.
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Default Re: File under dumb questions

I don't see and way it could hurt it as long as you don't drop any fillings down it when cutting.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I also have a 1070 and have thought about doing the exact same thing, I often store the tractor outside and after it rains when I start it I get a big blast of black water out of the stack. Can't be good for the muffler, but after looking at the design, I would need a lot of water in it before it would actually enter the engine.

so to answer your question, I don't see it being a problem.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    I don't see and way it could hurt it as long as you don't drop any fillings down it when cutting.
    How about cut it while the tractor is running at about 2000 RPM, so there is a lot of exhaust gas coming up and blow out the metal filings. Wear heavy welders gloves. Start engine and start cutting with a sawzall so it goes quick.. Just an idea, do you think it would work?

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Platinum Member

With the design of the muffler, the filings wouldn't be able to enter the engine anyway. They would lay in the bottom curve and would blow out when the engine starts. If you do try cutting with engine running, be sure to wear eye protection. The filings will be blowing everywhere. I would recommend stuffing a rag in the pipe to a point just below the cut point. After the cut is made, start the tractor and the rag and filings will blow out. Again, wear eye protection.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

It was one of the first things I did with my tractor. Not a JD , but same principle.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by jd110 View Post
    With the design of the muffler, the filings wouldn't be able to enter the engine anyway. They would lay in the bottom curve and would blow out when the engine starts. If you do try cutting with engine running, be sure to wear eye protection. The filings will be blowing everywhere. I would recommend stuffing a rag in the pipe to a point just below the cut point. After the cut is made, start the tractor and the rag and filings will blow out. Again, wear eye protection.
    Even a better idea than my idea.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Or just remove it, cut it, flip over to remove the filings put rain flapper on the reinstall.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400/ Kubota RTV 900

How about using a pipe cutter(no filings to worry about)?

Tractor
    CT235

Quote Originally Posted by plykins View Post
    How about using a pipe cutter(no filings to worry about)?
    The very best answer I read....
    2010 CT235 with Bobtach, Rear Remotes, FEL, Kioti 60" Boxblade, 36" Fork, Snow-Sport Snow Plow, Wally BX42 Chipper, Land Pride LR 1584, Land Pride RB 1584, Gator 48" Grapple, HTL, Woods BH7500, HF 3PT Hitch Quick Attach, HF 3PT Hitch (Modified to work with BobTach in Front)
    CT 235 traded for CT 440 with free 72" snow blower...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast