File under dumb questions

/ File under dumb questions #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
Would it do any harm to my 1070 if I were to cut off the top 3-4 inches of the exhaust stack where the turnout is and replace it with an old school exhaust rain cap? The bouncing of the old rain cap reminds me of seeing my Dad on his old Allis-Chalmers...it would make me think of him every time the key is turned.

/ File under dumb questions #2  
I don't see and way it could hurt it as long as you don't drop any fillings down it when cutting.

/ File under dumb questions #3  
I also have a 1070 and have thought about doing the exact same thing, I often store the tractor outside and after it rains when I start it I get a big blast of black water out of the stack. Can't be good for the muffler, but after looking at the design, I would need a lot of water in it before it would actually enter the engine.

so to answer your question, I don't see it being a problem.

/ File under dumb questions #4  
I don't see and way it could hurt it as long as you don't drop any fillings down it when cutting.

How about cut it while the tractor is running at about 2000 RPM, so there is a lot of exhaust gas coming up and blow out the metal filings. Wear heavy welders gloves. Start engine and start cutting with a sawzall so it goes quick.. Just an idea, do you think it would work?

James K0UA

/ File under dumb questions #5  
With the design of the muffler, the filings wouldn't be able to enter the engine anyway. They would lay in the bottom curve and would blow out when the engine starts. If you do try cutting with engine running, be sure to wear eye protection. The filings will be blowing everywhere. I would recommend stuffing a rag in the pipe to a point just below the cut point. After the cut is made, start the tractor and the rag and filings will blow out. Again, wear eye protection.

/ File under dumb questions #6  
It was one of the first things I did with my tractor. Not a JD , but same principle.

/ File under dumb questions #7  
With the design of the muffler, the filings wouldn't be able to enter the engine anyway. They would lay in the bottom curve and would blow out when the engine starts. If you do try cutting with engine running, be sure to wear eye protection. The filings will be blowing everywhere. I would recommend stuffing a rag in the pipe to a point just below the cut point. After the cut is made, start the tractor and the rag and filings will blow out. Again, wear eye protection.

Even a better idea than my idea.

James K0UA

/ File under dumb questions #8  
Or just remove it, cut it, flip over to remove the filings put rain flapper on the reinstall.

/ File under dumb questions #9  
How about using a pipe cutter(no filings to worry about)?