JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #1  

thurman2320

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Re: John Deere 2320 Hydrostatic Tractor w/loader and backhoe.

After being run for 15-20 minutes, the tractor will no longer go up a moderate slope in 2 wheel drive in either Lo or Hi range. (It goes up okay the first couple of times before it warms up.) It goes up okay in 4 wheel drive. Everything else seems to operate normally and it goes okay on flatter ground. Hydraulic fluid is at the proper level. Cannot see any obvious problems. Tractor is about 4 yrs old with 265 hours on it. Anyone have any ideas?

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #2  
Has the trans fluid & filter been changed & the filter screen cleaned?
That is where I would start.

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #3  
Why won't it go up, what does it do? Loses traction, stalls, slips out of gear, shuts off, bucks, etc etc?

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP
Fluid and filters were changed at 150 hours (approx. 2 years ago).

Symptoms: It starts to go up the slope then acts like the transmission/clutch is slipping. It wants to go, but something isn't connecting.

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #5  
Always have to start with fluids I would think. Goes up fine in 4wd?

Guess I will have to check the filter and screen as a starting point.

It does go up the slope in 4wd; I assume the front wheels are pulling it or its taking enough load off the rear wheels so that it goes up okay.

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #7  
Has to be the transmission fluid and screen but the part about works in 4wd is interesting. Keep us posted on the resolution.

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #8  
If not fluids and filters, sounds like the transmission will need some attention. Good Luck. Ken Sweet

/ JD 2320 Wont Go Up a Hill After Warming UP #9  
Re: John Deere 2320 Hydrostatic Tractor w/loader and backhoe.

After being run for 15-20 minutes, the tractor will no longer go up a moderate slope in 2 wheel drive in either Lo or Hi range. (It goes up okay the first couple of times before it warms up.) It goes up okay in 4 wheel drive. Everything else seems to operate normally and it goes okay on flatter ground. Hydraulic fluid is at the proper level. Cannot see any obvious problems.Tractor is about 4 yrs old with 265 hours on it. Anyone have any ideas?

In the tractors 4 years,do you know if at any time was the suction screen removed and cleaned?

Greg

Greg: Suction screen has NOT been cleaned (I thought it had been when I changed the filter and fluid). I must be getting more senile than I thought. Will do that at the first opportunity and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.