Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
Although my first 4400 was a POS /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, my current 4400 has been a gem /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and its warranty expired three months ago. I service the battery every couple of months (replace anticorrosion discs twice a year, clean terminals, remove any corrosion, add distilled water if necessary, etc.) but noticed after the inactivity during the winter that I had a tennis ball-sized ball of white corrosion fuzz on top of the positive terminal/connector that also leaked down onto the area beneath the battery as well as getting into the transmission cooler. It also ate through the positive cable next to the connector. Instead of asking the dealer to come and get the tractor for this issue, I powerwashed the whole area and serviced the battery, used much baking soda to neutralize the acid, powerwashed again and painted some of the corroded areas and installed a generic auto battery cable connector. Two months later and out of tractor warranty, the terminal was corroded again. I replaced the battery and stopped by the service dept. to question them about JD (possibly) helping with the transmission cooler since the corrosion damage occured while under warranty even though it was not reported and I was concerned about potential future trans. cooler leakage and was told that there is a "Fix as Fails" issue here and that JD will supply all parts and labor to repair this issue, including new battery, positive cable, transmission cooler and what else I do not remember. This is even though my warranty had expired. My goal in providing this info is to advise anyone whose JD tractors fall under this Fix as Fails issue have until December to get it fixed according to the service manager. Although I felt that with the baking soda packed into the transmission cooler to neutralize the corrosion and then powerwashing it, it would be OK, the service manager indicated that eventually the trans. cooler will still fail and that is expensive. Owners of 4300's, 4400's and which other models I do not know, should check their battery terminals periodically and get the issue resolved if there is one, before the deadline. If this helps one person, it was worth wasting space on the tractorbynet hard drive. Michael S.

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #2  
My neighbors 790 has the same issues. New battery clamps, new battery hold down and its barely a year old. Whats up with the electrical system on these guys? Seems that by now the problem of leaking acid should be well behind us.

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #3  
The best fix for this issue is probably going to be buying an Optima sealed battery to replace the John Deere battery. I noticed the acid that vibrated out of the battery and made a mess on mine as well. I usually clean and check mine after each use and keep the area clean. It is not a very good design is it? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #4  
Design = Bad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Deere's response = Great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TBN Space not wasted by this post.

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #5  
Now this has become a matter of principle. Looks like the "thought and speech censorship police" deleted my last post which violated no forum rules as this one does not. At least I would expect the minimum level of courtesy of the "moderator" identifying themself and reason why the post was deleted. It would also seem reasonable that consistent application of forum rules be followed.

Now on to my reply to Mike_S's post. I have since used my 4410 several times sinces I power washed the battery acid residue from the top of the batter and the trans, oil cooler. It has not repeated making the mess that I had last cleaned up. I still think the best probable fix for this issue is to install an Optima battery which in this case, John Deere warranty should cover. I will research this and talk to my buddies at John Deere and see if there is anything in the works for addressing this problem. Still REAL happy with the tractor overall. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #6  
Mike, I talked with one of my buddies at the John Deere dealer today. I got him to look up problem bulletins, and he found a bulleting covering what you are experiencing. Does your battery have the 2 caps that cover 3 cells each or the individual caps? He told me that John Deere's fix for the problem is to replace the 3 in 1 caps with individual caps that cause the battery gases to recondense and stay in the battery. I told him that I had the individual caps and mine was still doing it so he put a customer complaint in the system computer for me and will call be back tomorrow. Maybe they will come up with a better fix. I get back to you as soon as I find out more info. Unless I get edited or deleted again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler
Chief--thanks for the info--you were correct in that there were two caps each covering three cells. There was a fix for this same issue on my first 4400 which was a drain hose as I recall.

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #8  
after spending $16,000 for my 4210 jd. just throughout that $20.00 chinese battery. replace it with a good optima group 51 yellow top. from tna sports $89.95 + $20.00 for shipping. no more acid to" eat away" jd cares less, having the battery right in front of the fan so it can suck in the acid when it leaks.good by strong box and happy optima. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #9  
That's interesting about leaking acid, that is. Moderator Mike, has a NH TC 40 (I believe) and corrosion from the acid ate the front of his grille and hood latch.

I have had a few Kubota's, all with the batteries in the extreme front. I believe that tractor manufacturers do that to add as much weight as possible in front of the front wheels.

None of my Kubota's ever leaked acid and my 5030 has a sealed battery with no caps whatsoever. Maybe JD should look at Kubota's battery supplier and possibly NH too!!

/ Battery acid in 4400 transmission cooler #10  
Anybody have the part number for the Optima battery to fit a 4400? The battery post on my 4400 covered with fuzz as well.
Thanks,
Ron