JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
I was at my dealership last week and a customer was in there getting his JD2210 fixed after the engine to transmission driveshaft failed from lack of grease. It also broke the front case on the transaxle as it beat itself to death at engine speed after breaking. My tractor has 400 hours on it and has never been greased. I decided I would tackle the job of greasing the two u-joints on this shaft. I overheard the mechanics tell this guy that the only way to grease them was to disassemble the tractor, removing the floorboard, steering column cowl and fenders. I crawled under the tractor and could not see either joint and only about 4" of the shaft.

I crawled out and came to the house and googled it. I was referred to a thread on another website and from there learned a very easy way to do this task. On the left side of the tractor, brake pedal side, there is a 2"x3" rubber plug snapped into the steering column cowl. I removed that plug and here's what I saw, the front u-joint!!!

DSC05985.jpg

After reviewing the previous mentioned thread I cut a rectangular hole in the floorboard. The floorboard is double layered where I cut so it was kind of a pain but nothing like removing the floorboard and fenders as I was previously told to do.

DSC05980.jpg

With a grease gun needle tip I was able to grease both joints. I've contacted my dealer and ordered another rubber plug to cover the second hole. For info purposes the part # is M807480. I suppose you could get a plug from anywhere and then cut the hole to match. But you need the hole to be about that size and cut rectangularly to make it easier to get the needle tip on the zerk.

DSC05979.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

Monday I'm gonna go to my dealership and do the mechanics a favor and take them these photos so maybe they can pass it on to their customers and save them a LOT of money on repairs!!! :cool:

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #2  
Congrats! At 400 hours you may have caught it in the nick of time. Hopefully. For I had never bothered to try to lube that shaft in the 8 years and 700 hours I owned my 2210, and paid the price. The tractor developed a bad shudder and upon examination the u-joint bearings were shot. Not easy to prove since you can't even see the &&$#&* shaft! I diagnosed it by pure logic. I posted the story elsewhere on these forums but I had to disassemble the entire tractor; ROPS, fender, floor, cowl, and dash. Then do the ship-in-a-bottle operation through a small steel plate in the right side of the frame to release a large C-clip from the front ujoint in order to remove the driveshaft. There was nothing left of the bearing but red powder! Now that I have new bearings I intend to install an access plug like you did. I will have to partly disassemble the rear fenders anyways as I had broken a couple of the PLASTIC clips that secure the fender to the floor. POOR ENGINEERING! Tough little tractor, but poorly built. Good luck!

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #3  
I can't imagine what a JD dealer would charge to disassemble and repair but I bet the service department / mechanic would love to have the work. Easy disassembly, no rusted old parts to contend with, new expensive parts knowing JD likes to sell parts groups rather than individual bearings. Its a home run all around. Owners would never give this hidden point a second thought. A service bulletin would never be sent out to avoid this costly repair. As owners we are very lucky the computer keeps us informed on various levels of pertinent information. Hats off to those who share their experiences.

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #4  
Very good information. Information I am sure will save 2210 owners time and a lot of money. Thanks for posting on Tractorbynet.

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
The guy I mentioned in the beginning paid $1250 labor charges plus parts. When I overheard him he was talking to the mechanics about how to prevent this in the future. They both said you have to disassemble the tractor to get at the joints. I'll try to get his name and a phone number and talk to him about this solution.

As for repair parts, I've read that Kubota sells u-joints to rebuild an existing shaft. I assume you'd need the u-joint/driveshaft out so they could take measurements and match it up that way. JD does not sell rebuild parts, you have to buy the complete shaft. One of the mechanics told me what they cost but I can't remember. It was an insane amount.....

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #6  
The guy I mentioned in the beginning paid $1250 labor charges plus parts. When I overheard him he was talking to the mechanics about how to prevent this in the future. They both said you have to disassemble the tractor to get at the joints. I'll try to get his name and a phone number and talk to him about this solution.

As for repair parts, I've read that Kubota sells u-joints to rebuild an existing shaft. I assume you'd need the u-joint/driveshaft out so they could take measurements and match it up that way. JD does not sell rebuild parts, you have to buy the complete shaft. One of the mechanics told me what they cost but I can't remember. It was an insane amount.....

This is incorrect. You do NOT have to buy the entire shaft. After completely disassembling my tractor etc. and discovering there was nothing left of my PTO "spider bearings" as they are called except for some reddish brown powder I went to JD and ordered up 2 spider bearing kits. I think they were about $30 each. Pounded out the powdery old ones and tapped (gently) in the new pin bearings, greased GENEROUSLY, and good to go!

here's a link to my post about this issue;
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/252402-help-2210-bad-vibratioins.html
----------- If that doesn't work and it probably wont, search the forum for help! 2210 bad vibratioins (and bad spelling haha)

and the PART NUMBER for the bearings;
LVA803335

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
This is incorrect. You do NOT have to buy the entire shaft. After completely disassembling my tractor etc. and discovering there was nothing left of my PTO "spider bearings" as they are called except for some reddish brown powder I went to JD and ordered up 2 spider bearing kits. I think they were about $30 each. Pounded out the powdery old ones and tapped (gently) in the new pin bearings, greased GENEROUSLY, and good to go!

here's a link to my post about this issue;
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/252402-help-2210-bad-vibratioins.html
----------- If that doesn't work and it probably wont, search the forum for help! 2210 bad vibratioins (and bad spelling haha)

and the PART NUMBER for the bearings;
LVA803335

Now I gotta make another trip to my dealership!!!! I talked to them Monday about the fix and gave them the pictures. They tolerated me. I asked again about buying u-joints to rebuild a shaft and they said "can't do that". Boy that aggravates me.....

I checked out your link and got the parts # for the u-joints, LVA803335 Thanks for the link and info!!!

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #8  
GREAT information, I am going to trot out to the shed and look at the 2305 for that access plate for the front joint, has anyone taken this concept and applied to a 2305, I have gone underneath and struggled to grease those fitting and am not confident that I got a lot of grease in them. Thanks

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #9  
I always done my 2305 with good success from underneath. Are you using this?
DSCF6107.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF6107.jpg
    DSCF6107.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DSCF6115.JPG
    DSCF6115.JPG
    956.9 KB · Views: 1,485
   / JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #10  
Hey Henri88 long time, yes I used a needle like that, i just was not convinced the grease was getting to the joint, was very hard to keep the tip on the zirk and maintain a good seal to transfer the grease, we do have a access cover which I removed, but no sign of the u joint, just the backside of some cooling fins.