Factory Fresh 5085M

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #31  
Nice machine. I'm about to order a 5085 M open station 2WD for a utility tractor. Any idea if the two stock SCV's are adjustable? After searching this site recently I've seen pictures of the upgraded triple SCV's - which are similar to my 6330 - but can't tell about the stock pair. I'm pretty excited to be stepping up from a 5403, but timing is not ideal for ordering a tractor by the end of the week. Don't know that I'm going to get to look at one next week, curious to drive it though and to make sure it is suitable for the more technical jobs.
You are running a much larger class of tractor then most of us here on TBN. I for one can't think of how you would want to adjust an SCV valve. closed it is closed! open all the way and it passes all the hydro fluid the relieve valve will pass. All the adjustment one might want is in where you move the valve lever. I can think of some possibilities but can't guess what you are specifically talking about.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #32  
Hi vtsnowedin, we have some implements that I'd like this machine to run where adjusting the flow is helpful, like our mower conditioner. I also have a manure spreader and a bale wrapper that have hydro drives and I need the full detent position to keep the hydro flow "on" full time.

Thanks for the heads up on the typical tractor size here, although I think there are some members with 5 and 6000 series. My tractors and combine are small compared to most of my friends machines, but they get the work done with minimal breakdowns and cover our operation nicely.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #33  
Yes there are some dogs here that can run with the bear dog pack and neveh have to hide under the porch. But anybody with a large tractor in the field usually has some smaller units on hand and in their past and they like talking about them and passing on knowledge to the newbies. (Thanks be) I don't have any knowledge of the control systems you are talking about but they don't sound too difficult to accomplish, If it has been done it can certainly be done again. What models actually have it as an option I'll leave to others that actually have a clue.
Welcome to TBN.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #34  
The standard dual scv is not adjustable on the 5M series. You need to upgrade to the triple deluxe valve to get adjustable flow and detents.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M
The 2 scv's are not adjustable other than continuous flow and I believe the gpm flow but if you want the most versatility go with the triple scv's with the detent knobs. Option out all you can so there's no regrets!

Last edited:
   / Factory Fresh 5085M #36  
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. I'm dropping the mid-mounts and adding the triples to the rear - a wash cost-wise. Thinking about adding a couple weights to the rears, and potentially avoid ballasting them. The liquid ballast would be a good deal heavier but not sure it needs it.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M
You're not running remotes for a grapple? Leaving out the mids? Yeah we figured Dad's cab M would be plenty heavy without liquid ballast until loading the FEL bucket and lowering it quickly. The rear of the tractor came off the ground which without rear ballast is prob normal but still it seemed light in the rear. Also when pushing into a gravel pile to fill the bucket the tires spun pretty good. Problem solved with liquid ballast. The M model is the heavy duty version and is pretty heavy but as with all tractors...doesn't matter how much Horsepower you have if you can't stick it to the ground!!

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #38  
Hey PB,
I took some time off the forum for a while and missed your thread. Congrats to you and your dad on the new tractor! It sure is a fine looking machine! :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I like the looks of the R4's, it's the first time I've seen pics of that tractor with R4's. Thanks for posting. :D

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #39  
Hi PBettis, no we won't be adding a grapple, or a FEL for that matter. This tractor will run planters, cultivator, rotary mower, hay rake, tedder, etc. Merry Christmas to all-

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #40  
Man, cool hearing from you pclausen. Yeah, I'm pretty positive the hitch is all HD. But, yeah Dad is really enjoying his new toy. I'm just glad he's safe and comfortable to be honest. He still works like a fire ant and has pretty poor vision thanks to macular degeneration so at least he's not suckin' dust anymore or fightin' bees. Plus he can't drive legally anymore so there you have it... "Re-tired" courtesy of John Deere.

Fine lookin' tractor there, PBettis! Every now and again I drop by to see what the latest machines are looking like... Happened upon your pics. Your Dad done good! Nonetheless, I think that PClausen might have made an important point - the lower lift links don't appear to be the HD ones.

If you go here: John Deere - Parts Catalog

You can compare the HD links to the standard. The HD links have a cap riser where the pin release is located - the standard lift arms are flat.

AKfish