Factory Fresh 5085M

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #1  

PBettis

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 110TLB
Thought I'd start a new thread about my Dad's new 5085M and share some info about attachments. Dad ordered his tractor sometime in July this year (2012) and took delivery early in October. Since then we have driven from here in Ga. about 1.5 hours south of Atlanta to Charlotte N.C. and picked him up some attachments from Wildkat attachments. We wanted to see the different sizes and builds of everything they offered. Let me say that I own a debris grapple for my 110 and now dad an 84" smooth bucket with tooth bar and 74" Root Rake/grapple. I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible to get a better quality built attachment for the price than from Wildkat. So far we've been impressed with everything on the tractor including the H260 FEL. Dad opted for a skidsteer front hookup so he could swap with his bobcat and my 110. The hookup is a really nice upgrade. He pretty much optioned the tractor out with Power rev. plus (32/16) tranny, H260 FEL, H.D 3 pt.hitch, and too many other bells and whistles to mention. But I thought I would post a pic on his new toy and talk about

ForumRunner_20121202_085947.jpg

the buying experience. Dad did have a few bugs to work out with his new machine but of course the local Deere dealer took care of them pretty fast. I'll post some more later on the "Ordering experience" and "Glitch fixes". Still, this is One Bad Deere and Dad has waited his whole life to enjoy it!

Last edited:
   / Factory Fresh 5085M
Oh also...thought you guys might want to see the tractor with R4's. I know most folks go with the Ag style.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M
Also couple more pics...

ForumRunner_20121202_091246.png

ForumRunner_20121202_091326.png

The one is with the Wildkat brand Rootrake and the other is at the dealer before taking delivery and also before widening the R4 tires and ballasting.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #4  
Nice setup:thumbsup:

So are you clearing land for pasture? Looks like an 8' landplane would be something you can use to smooth out some of the areas.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M
Ha! Funny you said that, we're still kickin ourselves for not checking into a landplane for sale down the road. We're clearing around 25 acres for pasture. The hardest thing is trying to burn a huge pile of dirt with a few sticks in it! Doesn't work so good!

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #6  
I wouldn't sweat the small stuff for pasture, run a disk over it and plant some grass. The cows and time will get rid of the small stuff in short order. Just keep balers out of there in the meantime.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M
Sounds good to me. Dad has probably ground a few thousand stumps and we've been running the rootrake and 955 Cat loader over most of it. He just purchased a nice used Taylor disc plow. I would say it's about 10-12 feet wide and has hydraulic lift on it. We're curious to see how the new tractor pulls it. Good bit of plow for that size tractor but we'll see. I'm pretty sure it'll pull it when all 4 tires are spinning..haha.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #8  
I think you can spend an inordinate amount of time and money trying to get all the small stuff into a burn pile. Left on the ground and spread out I think it will rot faster and with cows walking over it while grazing shouldn't take very long. I would spend more money on lime, fertilizer and seed instead of diesel fuel. Stumps and large trunks would take alot longer though and I would wan't to get them out. I learned from my dad and grandfather to pay attention to the weather when picking the time to work over a burn pile. When you can get in there and have the dirt crumble and not stick to the wood is the best time to restack.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
   / Factory Fresh 5085M
Any idea if the 5085M would pull a 10' land plane? Also any idea on what a 10' land plane is worth used in really good condition? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Factory Fresh 5085M #10  
Any idea if the 5085M would pull a 10' land plane? Also any idea on what a 10' land plane is worth used in really good condition? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You should be able to pull a 10ft landplane without problems. Your 110 can pull an 8' in most cases as an example. I built my 8' plane and used my 110 to smooth my lawn area prior to the arrival of the new 4520. The higher hp 4520 will pull it faster though. In new ground I would lean more towards lower ground speeds and larger size landplanes. I wouldn't wan't to snag a hidden object and go through the windshield and second the larger the plane frame is and longer the skids the better it will function smoothing out the land. Still needs to fit the environment, gates, between trees and other obstacles and then are you planning to use it on roads. Also transport issues to consider too. All that said for your intended use a 10ft landplane would be a good size for smoothing fields. You could build a 10ft landplane for about 1000 to 1200 bucks that would be heavy duty similar to the one I built but larger tubing sizes and clevis hitch. Might want to consider a smaller landplane for the driveways and a larger landplane for the field work.

Heres two landplanes I have built for landscape work primarily with the blades set straight the smaller one is 4' wide and 420 lbs and the larger is 8' and about 950lbs. Material costs for both were about $100/ft of width.

Attachments

• Butch W  new lawn work 004.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 004.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 453
  • Butch W  new lawn work 001.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 001.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 448