Tires for snow plowing.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #1  

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
I have a 1026R that I will be using to plow lighter snow with a 54" front blade. That is if we have any snow this year.
The tractor came with R4 tires. It had a very rough ride when mowing, so I got a set of HDAP wheels to use for mowing. The ride was very good with the HDAPs.
Which tires would be better for plowing snow?

/ Tires for snow plowing. #2  
I had success with turfs on a small 4wd Kubota in the past. So I think your HDAPs should be fine on light snow.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #3  
I have a 1026R that I will be using to plow lighter snow with a 54" front blade. That is if we have any snow this year.
The tractor came with R4 tires. It had a very rough ride when mowing, so I got a set of HDAP wheels to use for mowing. The ride was very good with the HDAPs.
Which tires would be better for plowing snow?

I get to plow and blow up to 28" (so far) at a time with my 2305 with turfs and chains (and loaded tires and a weight box) and this machine is almost unstoppable. The issue, as I see it, is not the tires, as any tire has lousy traction on ice, but a set of chains which will grab in either snow or ice. It takes me about 10 minutes to put the chains on. Where I live they stay on all winter, but then the ground here is frozen and there isn't anything else I can use my CUT for.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #4  
i have a few tractors with ag tires and one 3000 series john deere with turfs. turf tires do not need chains at all. the most snow i usually see at a time is 24 inches of snow and i can plow that along with higher drifts with turf tires and no chains at all. Think about a pickup truck with a plow and their tires being simialr to turf tires. do you see them plowing with chains? No. Turf tires get superior traction on snow. chains will only benefit you if you plow conditions where you cant keep up with the snow plowing and ice forms. other than that, chains will actually hurt you on your own driveway but actually creating less traction and spinning out on your driveway and scratching it all to ****.

/ Tires for snow plowing.
Thanks for the replies. I will try the HDAPs first. I have plenty of weight to put on the back. I have chains, but I prefer not to use them because we have an asphalt driveway.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #6  
Thanks for the replies. I will try the HDAPs first. I have plenty of weight to put on the back. I have chains, but I prefer not to use them because we have an asphalt driveway.

I use chains, but then I have a 100 yard crushed shale driveway that is all uphill. I agree with Cigar Face. On asphalt chains do a whole lot of damage.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #7  
I use chains, but then I have a 100 yard crushed shale driveway that is all uphill. I agree with Cigar Face. On asphalt chains do a whole lot of damage.

On my turf tires I made up ladder chains that are set every 3 link and find that my asphalt drive sections show little if any scars, and they are studded ice chains to boot.
B4 they were every 5th link and they would skip n grab causing damage.
Also the ride is very smooth.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #8  
They will work great. We have a B7500 with R5s and a BX2660 with turfs and the BX has more traction pushing till you hit a muddy spot. The HDAPs should help greatly with mud while keeping the better traction in the snow.

Aaron Z

/ Tires for snow plowing. #9  
i have a few tractors with ag tires and one 3000 series john deere with turfs. turf tires do not need chains at all. the most snow i usually see at a time is 24 inches of snow and i can plow that along with higher drifts with turf tires and no chains at all. Think about a pickup truck with a plow and their tires being simialr to turf tires. do you see them plowing with chains? No. Turf tires get superior traction on snow. chains will only benefit you if you plow conditions where you cant keep up with the snow plowing and ice forms. other than that, chains will actually hurt you on your own driveway but actually creating less traction and spinning out on your driveway and scratching it all to ****.

I don't know what part of the east coast you live in but there can't be any hills, or sloped concrete driveways that has melted and then frozen back up .
You better have a set of chains on where I live or you slide through the garage door or through one of the neighbors . There has been times I cannot come up around the side of the house without chains in 4x4 and maybe 400+ #s on the back of the tractor.

/ Tires for snow plowing. #10  
You better have a set of chains on where I live or you slide through the garage door or through one of the neighbors . .

ok thanks. ill take that into consideration if i move to preston county