Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #1  

KY Gun Geek

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055D, 2 JD 5085M's, JD 5085E, JD 5093E, JD 5115M
Won an 855 on eBay recently (low ball bid and it held, what have I gotten into?).

But, my first issue is to get it on the trailer to get it home. I have about a 4hr (one way) trip to go get it, so I need to pick the right gear.

Of my trailer options, my best is an aluminum horse trailer (the other is a 25' flatbed with ramps, which are too wide for the tractor). I looked up the dimensions on tractor data ( TractorData.com John Deere 855 tractor dimensions information). And it looks like it will just barely fit the horse trailer.

So my questions are:
- How accurate are these dims - can you guys confirm them?
- Does the length stated include the 3pt arms that hang out the back or would that length be front bumper to back tire?
- The rops will fit by about 4" if the specs are right. However, is the ROPS difficult to remove if it won't fit? Planning on taking hand tools, compressor, and impact wrench.

Thanks!

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #2  
Does tractor have R4 Industrial, R1 Ag tires, or turf tires. Posted dimensions are usually with R1 tires, R4 & turf world be a little wider and probably not able to narrow them in. If on R1s and it was too wide you could probably reverse the rims for tansport. The ROPS should unbolt from the frame with a little work, shouldn't be too difficult. If the 3pt sticks out too far, take it off. It connects to the rear of tractor frame with a few pins. I think your biggest concern is to verify the width with the type of tires on it to fit in a horse trailer.

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855
Does tractor have R4 Industrial, R1 Ag tires, or turf tires. Posted dimensions are usually with R1 tires, R4 & turf world be a little wider and probably not able to narrow them in. If on R1s and it was too wide you could probably reverse the rims for tansport. The ROPS should unbolt from the frame with a little work, shouldn't be too difficult. If the 3pt sticks out too far, take it off. It connects to the rear of tractor frame with a few pins. I think your biggest concern is to verify the width with the type of tires on it to fit in a horse trailer.

Thanks much for the reply.

The given width is about 51 1/2", inside of trailer is 70"+. Should fit unless I completely mis-understand something. Looks like it has turf tires from pics.

Thanks for the info re ROPS.

Our current tractor is a JD 5105 (45hp compact). The ROPS on it folds, but trying to remove it would be a chore. This 855 is to keep some of the hours off of the 5105 doing tasks for which it is too big (pulling manure spreaders, chain harrow, small finish mower, maybe the bush hog 762 back hoe, are a few tasks that comes to mind...)

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #4  
There are eight large bolts that attach the ROPS to the transaxle and final drives. The ROPS is heavy and awkward so you'll need another pair of hands to hold it while removing the last bolts and to help lift it up and out of the way.

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #5  
The dimensions of my 755 are the same as the 855 except for length. The height to the top of the ROPS is 76 inches with my turf tires. The tires are set to wide position and have a width of 54 inches. The JD advertised dimensions include the 3pt hitch, but as SSdoxie says it is easily removed with a few quick connect pins. The 3pt hitch adds 14 inches to the tractor length. So the 855 length with 3pt removed and turf tires is 96 inches. With 3pt installed, and lowered down, the 855 is 110 inches. I confirmed these dimensions on my 755 and compensated for the 855 frame which is 7 inches more length than my 755.

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #6  
I had to move my 755 a year ago and I used my enclosed trailer. I had to pull the ROPS off in order to make it fit. I had to pull the wheels off in order to get enough clearance to get at the bolts. I was able to lift the ROPS off by myself but there was no way I would be able to get them back on without some help, they are heavy and awkward to handle.

If you're only high by a couple inches you might be able to deflate the tires enough to get it loaded, so long as the tire bulge doesn't hit the walls of the trailer.

Jason

/ Need a little help dimension and maybe ROPS removal fro transport - JD 855 #7  
The 855 has a tall ROPs option. Top of the tall ROPs is just over 7'

Make sure the trailer can handle the weight and has appropriate tie downs.

I wouldn't want to transport my 855 in my horse trailer