Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2240

Default Water in the Engine Oil

I've got a JD 2240/yr. 1977, 50 hp with water in the engine oil. I have had the cyclinder head checked and it ok! I've pull the front piston out and everything looks good. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what could be causing this. Thanks for your help.

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Default Re: Water in the Engine Oil

sound like one of your cylinder sleeve has a hole in it from normal wear,, if that's the problem,, you may need a complete overall.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305

Not familiar with the 2240, but if equip with a oil cooler, that could be the cause. Had similar problem with a international diesel engine.
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    John Deere 2240

Quote Originally Posted by Henri88 View Post
    Not familiar with the 2240, but if equip with a oil cooler, that could be the cause. Had similar problem with a international diesel engine.
    Thanks Henri88, I'm thankful I don't have a oil cooler.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Could be a head gasket. Welcome to the forum.

Tractor
    John Deere 2240

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    Could be a head gasket. Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks Mike put my head gasket and cylinder head was OK. Thanks for the Welcome!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    A little of everything

Then Im guessing your liners (sleeves) have cavitated. This is common problem caused by hard water eating away at the liners unit it finally creates a hole(s). There will be small pin holes along the sides of the liner that allows coolant to enter. They can be difficult to see from the inside, so look closely. I have seen the o rings which seal the liners to block blow, but usually it's cavitation.

The only good thing it that these engine are pretty easy to inframe.

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

Quote Originally Posted by AGRIMAN View Post
    Then Im guessing your liners (sleeves) have cavitated. This is common problem caused by hard water eating away at the liners unit it finally creates a hole(s). There will be small pin holes along the sides of the liner that allows coolant to enter. They can be difficult to see from the inside, so look closely. I have seen the o rings which seal the liners to block blow, but usually it's cavitation.

This is called hypercavitation. There is a coolant additive called DCA that will help prevent it. I think it is a Fleetguard product.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE

Tractor
    John Deere 2240

Quote Originally Posted by AGRIMAN View Post

I believe you are right because 2 of the liners are the orginal (making those 2, 35 yrs. old.). I replaced 1 about 4 years ago, I wish now I would have replaced all of them. Thank you so much for your help. As soon as this cold front moves thought I'm going to pull the other 2 pistons. Do you have any suggest on removing the liners. The last one I removed was a all day job.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by lgrant777 View Post
    I believe you are right because 2 of the liners are the orginal (making those 2, 35 yrs. old.). I replaced 1 about 4 years ago, I wish now I would have replaced all of them. Thank you so much for your help. As soon as this cold front moves thought I'm going to pull the other 2 pistons. Do you have any suggest on removing the liners. The last one I removed was a all day job.
    Some tool rental locations in large AG areas have the liner remover and installer kits that they rent out. You may make a few phone calls and see what is available. You may also have to drive some distance to obtain one. I have also seen extractors fashioned with threaded rod, a bottom plate and a top tree standoff to allow the liner to be pulled upward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast