Oil & Fuel Water in the Engine Oil

/ Water in the Engine Oil #1  

lgrant777

Tractor
John Deere 2240
I've got a JD 2240/yr. 1977, 50 hp with water in the engine oil. I have had the cyclinder head checked and it ok! I've pull the front piston out and everything looks good. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what could be causing this. Thanks for your help.

/ Water in the Engine Oil #2  
sound like one of your cylinder sleeve has a hole in it from normal wear,, if that's the problem,, you may need a complete overall.. Lou

/ Water in the Engine Oil #3  
Not familiar with the 2240, but if equip with a oil cooler, that could be the cause. Had similar problem with a international diesel engine.

/ Water in the Engine Oil
Not familiar with the 2240, but if equip with a oil cooler, that could be the cause. Had similar problem with a international diesel engine.
Thanks Henri88, I'm thankful I don't have a oil cooler.

/ Water in the Engine Oil #5  
Could be a head gasket. Welcome to the forum.

/ Water in the Engine Oil #7  
Then Im guessing your liners (sleeves) have cavitated. This is common problem caused by hard water eating away at the liners unit it finally creates a hole(s). There will be small pin holes along the sides of the liner that allows coolant to enter. They can be difficult to see from the inside, so look closely. I have seen the o rings which seal the liners to block blow, but usually it's cavitation.

The only good thing it that these engine are pretty easy to inframe.

/ Water in the Engine Oil #8  
Then Im guessing your liners (sleeves) have cavitated. This is common problem caused by hard water eating away at the liners unit it finally creates a hole(s). There will be small pin holes along the sides of the liner that allows coolant to enter. They can be difficult to see from the inside, so look closely. I have seen the o rings which seal the liners to block blow, but usually it's cavitation.

This is called hypercavitation. There is a coolant additive called DCA that will help prevent it. I think it is a Fleetguard product.

/ Water in the Engine Oil

I believe you are right because 2 of the liners are the orginal (making those 2, 35 yrs. old.). I replaced 1 about 4 years ago, I wish now I would have replaced all of them. Thank you so much for your help. As soon as this cold front moves thought I'm going to pull the other 2 pistons. Do you have any suggest on removing the liners. The last one I removed was a all day job.

/ Water in the Engine Oil #10  
I believe you are right because 2 of the liners are the orginal (making those 2, 35 yrs. old.). I replaced 1 about 4 years ago, I wish now I would have replaced all of them. Thank you so much for your help. As soon as this cold front moves thought I'm going to pull the other 2 pistons. Do you have any suggest on removing the liners. The last one I removed was a all day job.

Some tool rental locations in large AG areas have the liner remover and installer kits that they rent out. You may make a few phone calls and see what is available. You may also have to drive some distance to obtain one. I have also seen extractors fashioned with threaded rod, a bottom plate and a top tree standoff to allow the liner to be pulled upward.