cranks but wont start (cold weather)

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
So my 755 hasnt been started in about 2-3 months and we got a big dump of snow so i pulled the battery and charged it up over night, plugged in the tractor and let it sit for an hour, she cranked and cranked and finally the battery died, so 3 hours later after the battery has recharged the block temp is now 3 degrees Celsius from -20, fuel lines went from -20 to -8 and she still just cranks. I have been letting the glow plugs cycle and it has been cranking fast.

I never had an issue 2 months ago when the weather was similar. I bleed the fuel lines at the filter and at the block, fuel tank has a dose of non gelling liquid.

I will leave it plugged in overnight and see if i get better results tomorrow night.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #2  
gelled fuel filter? and lines?

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #3  
gelled fuel filter? and lines?
Having had the same problem long ago when living in upstate New York this would be my first guess also. I put a heating pad around the fuel filter for 20 to 30 minutes and she started right up. I have since kept additive in the tank year around and have never had the problem again. Good luck getting'er started.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #4  
If the fuel is 2-3 months old, it may still be the summer blend. Give the additives a little while to work, and try again with a fresh battery. Or if you're more desperate, evacuate the fuel in lines, filter and tank and start with fresh fuel with treatment and/or kerosene. Good luck!

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #5  
When you crank it is there any smoke coming out the exhaust? If not then like said before likely gelled fuel. If there is then I bet the glow plugs are not working. Put some heat on the fuel filter anyway.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather)
The fuel from 3 months ago already had the winter fuel treatment in it as i add it to every tank, and there is smoke coming out of the exhaust not much but theres smoke ill try again tonight the block heater has been on since last night and ill try it when i get home today.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #7  
If the glow plugs are not working, it should start with the block heater being on overnight. In the mean time, you could always do a quick check on the glow plug by using a voltmeter on your battery and see if their is a drop in voltage when cycling the glow-plug.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #8  
Hard starting in cold weather is also a symptom of low compression.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather)
I know the glow plug system is operating as i tested it, it maybe that my plugs are toast, or that the engine is that cold as stated the block was -20 degrees celcius before i plugged it in.

Wish me luck in 5 hours.

/ cranks but wont start (cold weather) #10  
If you know that your glow-plug system is working, then a no drop in voltage while cycling them should tell you that they could be toast. Good luck, hope it starts. :thumbsup: