Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E
Everyone has given me much to think about and I appreciate it!

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #12  
I would connect it to the tractor and give it a try. Run tractor at idle see how that works if not happy try bumping rpm up a couple of hundred rpm , no need to run at 3200 but keep trying till your at 2400 . 2400 would be the fastest I would try main reason manual says no higher than 2400 for BH .

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #13  
I am confused by your 1100 engine rpm statement, with 2600 engine rpm available ..
My splitter is the same SpeeCo 3 point that's being discussed. As I said, the specs are on pg12 of the manual - which you would have found had you followed the link I provided above.

Regarding the 1100rpm, that was the engine speed at which tractor hydraulic pump developed its max pressure and flow. It would build from idle to 1100, then remain constant all the way to full throttle. Didn't matter where I set the throttle above 1100, it didn't change either the splitting power or the cycle time. Nor did the splitter ever bog down the engine at that speed. Hence, 1100 rpm saved both fuel - and wear&tear on the associated tractor components.

//greg//

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #14  
Greg_g You bring up an interesting point as to RPM, do you think the 1100 rpm to generate max hydraulic flow is the same # for a 2305? I never knew about this, though when I use my log splitter I was never at full throttle. Thanks Fred

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #15  
My splitter is the same SpeeCo 3 point that's being discussed. As I said, the specs are on pg12 of the manual - which you would have found had you followed the link I provided above.

Regarding the 1100rpm, that was the engine speed at which tractor hydraulic pump developed its max pressure and flow. It would build from idle to 1100, then remain constant all the way to full throttle. Didn't matter where I set the throttle above 1100, it didn't change either the splitting power or the cycle time. Nor did the splitter ever bog down the engine at that speed. Hence, 1100 rpm saved both fuel - and wear&tear on the associated tractor components.

//greg//

The link you provided gives me a 404 error.

Explain how a direct driven gear pump keeps pumping at the same GPM at 1100 rpm, if you increase engine rpm.

Was your pump maximum GPM figured at 1100 rpm or at 2600 rpm?

Looking at the figures below on the GPM of the log splitter, I would suspect that the splitter would have a shorter cycle time with more GPM's.

http://www.speeco.com/whitepapers/3PTHITCHLSMANUAL.pdf

Go to last page.

It also says that the ideal GPM should be in the range of 8 to 15 GPM for this splitter.

Last edited:
   / Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #16  
Not sure how Greg's setup works but I found that my splitter on my 2320 maxs out on speed somewhere between 2000 and 2400 rpm. Taking it on up to 3000 rpm doesn't change the speed. I'm not sure why but I thought it might be a restrictor in the splitter (not necessarily the valve) to limit the speed for safety. From experience I know that with a splitter on a large tractor (100+ HP) there's no point in running above idle. You have all the speed and power you can use there.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #17  
Cycle times of 13-16 seconds would stress me. Sounds like a LOT of time spent watching a cylinder slowly move......

I built a 3pt splitter using a PTO pump for my Kubota B2910 because I didn't thing the tractor hydraulics would run it fast enough to suit me. I had a one-way stroke time of 6 seconds and still felt like I was waiting.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #18  
Not sure how Greg's setup works but I found that my splitter on my 2320 maxs out on speed somewhere between 2000 and 2400 rpm.T aking it on up to 3000 rpm doesn't change the speed.
Same as yours. Except it was a 45hp tractor. More power, bigger pump I guess. The output of mine was flat from 1100 to the 2650 throttle stop.

//greg//

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #19  
Cycle times of 13-16 seconds would stress me. Sounds like a LOT of time spent watching a cylinder slowly move......

I built a 3pt splitter using a PTO pump for my Kubota B2910 because I didn't thing the tractor hydraulics would run it fast enough to suit me. I had a one-way stroke time of 6 seconds and still felt like I was waiting.

That is about the same time I had. 6 seconds each way +\-. like I said, if you are just splitting for your own stockpile, it was adequate for me. If I was doing it for profit, I would get a faster splitter. 4,5,6 splits a minute was just fine for me.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #20  
Greg_g You bring up an interesting point as to RPM, do you think the 1100 rpm to generate max hydraulic flow is the same # for a 2305? I never knew about this, though when I use my log splitter I was never at full throttle. Thanks Fred

JD 2305

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 3.4 gal [12.9 L]
Pressure: 1987 psi [137.0 bar]
Valves: 2
Pump flow: 2.9 gpm [11.0 lpm]
Total flow: 5.2 gpm [19.7 lpm]
Steering flow: 2.3 gpm [8.7 lpm]

Your pump flow is only 2.9 GPM at 3000 rpm, and 1987 psi.