Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #21  
Greg_g You bring up an interesting point as to RPM, do you think the 1100 rpm to generate max hydraulic flow is the same # for a 2305?
No Fred, I don't. That statement regarded using the SpeeCo 3-point behind a 45hp tractor. I'm sure it had a considerably higher capacity pump than your 2305. I can only recommend trial and error. Start trying to split with the tractor engine at idle. Speed up 500 rpm at a time, until there's no increase in cycle time. Fine tune throttle setting from there, until you find the point where increased RPMs stop resulting faster cycle times.

//greg//

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #22  
Greg_g You bring up an interesting point as to RPM, do you think the 1100 rpm to generate max hydraulic flow is the same # for a 2305? I never knew about this, though when I use my log splitter I was never at full throttle. Thanks Fred

My 2320 has the same hydraulic system as your 2305 and I have the 13 ton PowerHorse. I found I would max out at about a 10 second stroke at a little over 2000 rpm. Try yours out and time it and I think you'll find a similar result. It works great for me because a split every 10 seconds is somewhat faster than I want to work. :)

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #23  
I also have the same splitter and run it off my JD 4200. I set the throttle at about 1200 rpms and it works fine for me. Like others said it would not do well if you are splitting and selling firewood. I only work alone at it for my own use. I welded up a craddle with angle iron and bolted it to the backside toward the tractor tire. I do the split and roll the back half on to the craddle where it will sit while I split the near chunk again if necessary. I back my JD Gator right up close and load split wood into it. I have turned it over to vertical and split 24" knotty maple on this. Nothing has slowed it down. I like it very much

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #24  
simonds ,

Regarding log splitter operation.

Is there any chance you can do a test on cycle time. Just hold the lever until it stops and then hit the auto return and time the cycle.

If you would run the engine at 500 ,1000 , 1500 and 2000 rpm's, and provide us with the test results in sec for each of those rpm ranges.

I am just curious as other people may be, that more engine rpm should give more GPM and therefore more speed and less cycle time in sec.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #25  
When I ran my BX at higher RPM, the cycle time was faster.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #26  
That would be the logical conclusion. At idle you pump so many GPM. At mid range, you should pump about half of pumps capacity, and at full engine rpm, you should pump max pump capacity.

There are some that think otherwise, but do not explain the workings of a gear pump.

In a positive-displacement pump, slippage is negligible compared to the pump's volumetric output flow

If the pump is good and tight, I would think the flow would be linear with rpm.