Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #1  

DeereGirl

Tractor
John Deere 1023e
I need some opinions from you guys. I'm new to the thought of using a log splitter of this type. I'm used to a standalone gas splitter. However, I have a barter opprotunity that sounds pretty good.
I have the opprotunity to pick up a Speeco 3 point Log Splitter. Here's the description that I've been given and pictures look really good:
"I bought this on CL a few months ago for $450 and only have split a half dozen logs. I believe I am the 3rd owner, but none of us has used it very much. The splitter is designed to operate using the hydraulic system of a class 1 or 2 tractor with a 3 point hitch system. Also, you could connect it to a stand alone hydraulic pump. It works perfectly. There is some deterioration on the covering of the 8 foot hoses but they do not leak. I installed a brand new "open" type hydraulic control valve ($140) and new quick release connectors ($40). It includes legs, but I have not used them. They seem to be selling new for about $850 (which may or may not include shipping). New they usually do not include hoses and connectors (+/- $100). "

My questions are as follows:
1. Are spitters of these types worth the money?
2. I understand that they work of the hydrolics of the tractor, will there be any reason why mine will not be able to handle it?
3. I'm sure there should be more questions asked but I'm not familure enough to know which ones. Is there something else that I should be thinking of?
Here's a PIC:
3E53M43N35L25O25Hbcbh2291ead1b4d11c8c.jpg
Any help would be great. If this is a good offer, I would like to jump on it.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #2  
Your 1023 hydraulics may not result in splitter performance consistent with your expectations. Pg12 on the manual for this splitter has pressure versus flow rate versus cycle time charts. If you don't have a copy, you can download one here. Then look up the hydraulic pressure and flow numbers in your 1023 manual. Comparing the splitter charts with the tractor data will give you splitting tonnage and cycle time.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #3  
If I had a chance at a splitter like that at a good price, I would scoop it up in a minute.

My tractor rate of flow is about 5gpm so too slow for a direct hook up.
If I'm going to have to run the motor at PTO rpm I have thought of running a PTO driven pump with an oil tank.

Also I would convert it to a rear facing vertical only splitter on the 3pt hitch so I could add a trailer hitch for a two wheel trailer.

Good luck

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E
Ok Guys.... Here's what the specs are on the JD 1023e... thoughts?Untitled picture.png

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #5  
If the cyl is a 4 in cyl, and 2 in shaft. and tractor hyd pressure of 2000 psi, the splitter would be rated at about 12 ton. That will do most jobs.

Since the flow to the valve is low, Prince makes a LSR-3060 log splitter valve which will speed up the splitting time.

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/LSR3060Flyer.pdf

Your tractor should be able to use this PTO pump below, and provide faster speeds and more power.

This pump can supply about 7 GPM at 2250 psi.

Surplus Center - 3.6 CU IN PRINCE HC-PTO-7A PTO PUMP 540 RPM

You should check your log splitter valve relief setting, and make it equal to the tractor relief setting.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #6  
Looks like it must mount sideways on the 3 pt. I'd rather have it fore/aft. and push the logs off the rear. This way I can drive forward to clear the wood. I also prefer a 4 way wedge for 90% of my splittting. It's 3x as fast this way. To me it looks like you have one choice as to which side to stand on plus the wood falls at your feet/in the loading area.

I posted a pic recently in another thread of teh Wallenstein unit that I use.

Agreed on the pump/reservoir given the low hydraulic flow of your tractor.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #7  
I have a splitter that I used on my BX22. I believe it is a 18 ton....? My BX had a flow rate in the 6gpm range. All that said, it worked fine for me. Cycle time was in the 13-16 second area and had plenty of power to split anything I could fit into the opening, other than big knots. It is no speed demon and would not be efficient for commercial work, but I could be shoulders deep in split logs in about a hour and barely break a sweat.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #8  
If I'm going to have to run the motor at PTO rpm I have thought of running a PTO driven pump with an oil tank.
It shouldn't be necessary to run at PTO rpm when the splitter is powered by tractor hydraulics. You only need sufficient engine revs to spin the pump up to its max gpm rate. I haven't used my 3730 for splitting yet. But behind my previous tractor, 1100 rpm is all it took to run the SpeeCo at its rated capacity.

//greg//

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E #9  
greg_g,

What was the rated GPM capacity on your splitter.

The cheapest log splitter valve will handle about 25 GPM.

I am confused by your 1100 engine rpm statement, with 2600 engine rpm available .

If you run it at 1100 rpm, you would only pump about 3 GPM, although that might be enough.

/ Using a 3 point Log Splitter on my John Deere 1023E
Thanks to all... I have not hear back from the person who offered yet. The splitter was on Craigslist for $400 and my snow blower is on there for $600. I was probably willing to go down to $500 but still not sure. Like I said, the person that made the offer has yet to contact me back. I'm still wondering if I should hold out to see if I get a cash offer. Then I can either put it towards a splitter or some other attachments for the tractor. My most recent purchase was a box scraper. I love it!