I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!!

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #1  

adegiulio

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I\'m officially a member of the 4310 club!!

My tractor was delivered yesterday at around 10am. After climbing on and getting aquainted, it was time for some serious brush hogging.. Our property is horribly overgrown with 10 foot tall pricker bushes, saplings everywhere....Its just a mess. I worked slow, but made some good progress in the 6 hours I was on. A tiltmeter is the next purchase, for sure. I had a few scary moments as the back tire sunk down in some soft rotting earth (maybe an old rotting stump). Since this is my first exposure to using a loader, it will take some time getting used to, but I was happy with how I picked it up. Some more seat time will hopefully make using the loader second nature. Hopefully by then the 4 in 1 bucket will be delivered (they say it should be in by next week). More controls to get used too!!

Now, for just a couple of questions....

1) Is there any harm in engaging and disengaging the PTO many times in the course of work? A lot of times I was concerned that a sapling I just ran over was too big, or I was driving in an area that didn't need cutting and didnt want the risk of blades hitting something, so I disengaged the PTO. Is this a problem, or should I be planning better where I am going??

2) Is there a problem with backing up with the PTO engaged (with a rotary cutter)? Some areas were just easier to cut by backing into them and lowering the cutter.

3) Is it a big problem if I do knock down a big sapling (say 3-4 inches) then run it over with the cutter raised a bit, just to give the sapling a haircut? I did this a few times and it seemed to work quite well, though i was concerned about wear and tear.

4) Is it normal for a 31 year old to smile for seven hours straight?

Here's a pic too...

Attachments

• 291274-tractor 003.jpg
    291274-tractor 003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 319
   / I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!!
Re: I\'m officially a member of the 4310 club!!

Here's another pic...

Amy swiped some seat time...

Attachments

• 291275-tractor 014.jpg
    291275-tractor 014.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 295
   / I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #3  

ADEGIULIO , I hope to have my new 4310 ,loader and 72" mmm by the end of next week along with the big smile that goes along with it. I am waiting for the 430 loader with hd bucket to come in .I currently have a 755 4x4 with a 60" mmm and a 4' jd brush hog. I mow my fence and property lines with it backing up into it. I go in raised and come out with the mower lowered. I have cut some very large stuff with it over the years without problems. the hydro is great for doing this.
Its not a problem if you turn off the pto if you don`t want to cut a spot. All of the newer tractors shut the pto off if you back up or raise your but off the seat anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #4  

Very nice! I'm just about ready to order a similar config. But can't find info on the 4in1 bucket. Can you give me a reference to where I can explore it more online?
Thanks!

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #5  

Not to hijack this thread but how do you like your 755? My friend just bought one and I have very little experience with compacts other then a 1920. Was there anything you had problems with it that he should watch for? His has about 500 hours on it and is a 1987 model if I remember correctly. He has the front snowblower and 60'MMM.

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!!

Do a search for "4 in 1" right here on TBN. This thread will give you a good headstart...everything I learned about 4in1's I learned right here on TBN. Boardmember "Rancar", aside from being a very nice man, has a 4in1 and will undoubtedly be more help than me...

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #7  

Welcome to the 4310 club! Looks like you got off to a great start. Looks like there will be some shared seat time going there! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I know that a tilt-meter is on my list of things to buy here shortly, I have been waiting for the price of the dual tilt meter to show up in the store here on TBN.
I back into a lot of stuff when I am brush hogging. We have lots of blackberry vines that I go in and cut. Raising up the cutter and backing into and plopping it down. Works great, I can see places that haven't been visable for 20 years or more!
Now about that smile... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif yup, it is normal and pretty hard to get rid of!

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #8  

Robert in new york , I loved the 755 ,I really wanted a loader but didn`t want it on the 755 .I would have been happy with a clean 955 but had no luck finding one with low hrs. and one that was garage kept. my 755 had 345 hrs when I got it 5 yrs. ago and now has 550. I am trading it unless I can sell it before the loader comes in for the 4310. I had no trouble with it and I must say I used it hard for a tractor its size. I have a 60" mmm ,rock rake,back blade,4 ft jd brush hog, spiked roller and a wheel lift I made for hauling garden tractors that I part out.
I am really looking fwrd. to the 4310 ,I stopped and drove it around the other day ,I didn`t even drive it before I bought it because the dealer didn`t have it. I had ordered one wth the bigger r4 tires but then the next day he got one in that was ordered for someone and the guy backed out so I took it. I wasn`t really concerned about the bigger meats.
He had loaders there but I wanted the $100. extra heavy duty bucket so I have to wait.
My boss has a 4300 that we use at work for snow removal so I was familiar with the tractor but the E hydro is nice.
Back to the 755 , its a really nice mowing tractor speed wise. I can fly on it and still do a decent job. hope this helps

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #9  

Skeptic - since you mentioned the tilt meter...the 4310 is my first tractor, and was wondering how to guage when you are getting close to trouble. I have a small pond on my property and the bank is about a 20 degree agle. have you used a tilt meter before ?

thanks

/ I'm officially a member of the 4310 club!! #10  

I don't have the tilt meter yet. Right now I am being careful to not go across some of the steeper slopes on my property.
Kind of doing the stomach test, if it feels steep-- it is. If it feels steep I go up and down to cut or move dirt.
R&B Engineering (I think that is the name) has a new dual axis tilt meter, you can find references in the saftey forum.
I have less than 40 hours on my tractor right now... so I am still getting used to things, but as I get more comfortable I attack steeper slopes.