How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer?

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #1  

Iowegian

Tractor
John Deere X595 SE
I am searching for a better way to move/park my 25', 6,000lb (800lb tongue weight) travel trailer. Would it be possible to use a properly sized utility tractor to do so? I am visualizing using either the front or rear hydraulics to somehow mount a properly sized ball that I could lock the trailer on. My main problem is tight quarters and a short, paved hill (maybe 15 feet with a 6 foot rise) The truck backs the rig up easily but positioning it can be a pain. It just seems using the tractor would be much easier, but my x595 would not be up to the task. Any thoughts appreciated.

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #2  
Depending on the surface you don't need a very big tractor. I move a 7,000 lb boat trailer around with my Kubota B2920. It has no issue even off the paved driveway and on hills. It doesn't seem to notice its there pulling or stopping. They make 3 pt trailer hitches (looks like a triangle with a hitch receiver) that work good. You can also put a ball on the FEL, but I would be nervous given the weight. I've heard of folks moving big trailers with the BX as well.

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #3  
A friend made this attachment for me last year. I can't believe how much I use it.

Attachments

• loader hitch.jpg
    loader hitch.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 1,811
   / How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #6  
I use one of my forklifts and I drilled a hole through the forks and put a pin through so I can pull my farm trailers to move them around, probably 3000 lbs maximum. It doesnt take much tractor to move a trailer. Possibly 25-30 HP? I can use my 4700 CUT to move around my NH 195. It can do it but it doesn't like it.

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #7  
I am searching for a better way to move/park my 25', 6,000lb (800lb tongue weight) travel trailer. Would it be possible to use a properly sized utility tractor to do so? I am visualizing using either the front or rear hydraulics to somehow mount a properly sized ball that I could lock the trailer on. My main problem is tight quarters and a short, paved hill (maybe 15 feet with a 6 foot rise) The truck backs the rig up easily but positioning it can be a pain. It just seems using the tractor would be much easier, but my x595 would not be up to the task. Any thoughts appreciated.

A six foot rise in fifteen feet is a serious grade. Pushing the trailer up the hill with the front of the tractor affords more manueverability and beter visibility.

With a paved surface;

With the grade you describe, it will take nearly 1500 lbs of push to move the trailer up the hill. A tractor with at least 3000 lbs on the drive tires while pushing would be minimum by my way of thinking. Depending on the method used, the tongue weight can add or subtract from the weight on the drive tires. A four wheel drive tractor weighing 3k lbs or a little less should be sufficient as the tongue weight will add to the weight on the drive tires. If a two wheel drive tractor is used, then 3k lbs on the rear tires while moving the trailer would be needed (by my way of thinking). If the trailer is moved with an attachment on a front end loader, the tongue weight reduces the weight on the drive tires, and a ballast should be used (or loaded tires) to maintain traction. In addition to the weight on the drive tires to move the trailer, it will take additional weight on the drive tires to move the tractor up the grade. There must be enough weight on the drives to not loose traction or steering. Loosing traction on the rears probably means a loss of braking. Loosing traction on the steering axle probably means a jack knife situation. Regardless of two wheel or four wheel drive, I would want to use ballast on the rear of the tractor if using the front of the tractor to push the trailer up the hill.

If the surface is gravel or otherwise unpaved, a much larger tractor would be needed to maintain traction and control.

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #8  
If I remember right my JD 2520 has a 1200 pound 3 point capacity. As most trailers aim for 10% tongue weight it would easily handle your trailer. I have moved a 5000 pound travel trailer around the yard with it. It doesn't even feel it, but it is tough to back up as I don't have wide mirrors on it. I made a 3point trailer hitch, so I can just lift the trailer to move around the yard, no jack cranking required.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Attachments

• image-3430727580.jpg
    image-3430727580.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 1,061
   / How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #9  
I have a 35 hp (Bobcat CT 235) tractor. The 3pt hitch will lift about 1500 lbs. You can purchase a 3 pt hitch trailer mover for about 160.00 bucks. Most have the ability to move both bumper pull and gooseneck combined. They are very handy!

To view these hitches just google 3 piint hitch trailer mover and take your pick.

/ How much tractor needed to move 25" Travel Trailer? #10  
It's not so much a power issue as it is one of weight and traction. Moving on flat dry terrain is no problem. But you need both on slopes to prevent the trailer from pushing the tractor, as well as when traction is a problem on wet/slippery/muddy surfaces. I had a one ton Yanmar (2wd) which you'd think should be enough tractor. And if it had ag tires, it would have been. But it had golf course type turf tires, and couldn't even push itself uphill on wet pasture.

//greg//