Snow Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #1  

ndfellow

Tractor
John Deere 2305
Just put the blower on for first time this year, yeah! I have a question on noise when you put the blower down on the ground. It makes some awful noises and sounds like the entire unit is going to vibrate off. It's a 2305 with a 47 inch quick attach blower on the front. It seems that when the pot shaft is straighten out when the blower is put down on ground it's causing the issue. When the blower is raised up there is no noise other than a nice per.

Thanks in advance!

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #2  
There were a lot of complaints about the snow blower vibration on 2210s & 2305s. I had it on a 2210. My son in law has it on a 2305.
The angle of the universal joints on the pto shafts is out of the range they should be.
JD's solution was to make one of the PTO shafts with a CV joint. I believe it is the mid PTO shaft. My son in law says the new shaft costs around $400.
I suggested to him that he see if a machine shop could cut the universal joint out of his shaft & install a CV joint.

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower
Has anyone tried the cv joint assembly replacement? I called John Deere and $422 seems expensive for a maybe fix?

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #4  
Where's the maybe in that fix? But it does sound like an expensive fix.

Is this the first time you use this blower? Maybe try and grease those u joints real good.

The other complaint about those blowers is the clearance between the secondary impeller and the housing. check for missing paint.

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #5  
When I traded for my 1026r , needed new front hitch , so along with front hitch came new drive shaft and front shaft . World of difference in noise ,used the blower now about 7 hrs ,only had one time for maybe 3-5 mins of a vibration or louder noise simular to that when I had the drive shaft first made for the 2305.

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #7  
Just put the blower on for first time this year, yeah! I have a question on noise when you put the blower down on the ground. It makes some awful noises and sounds like the entire unit is going to vibrate off. It's a 2305 with a 47 inch quick attach blower on the front. It seems that when the pot shaft is straighten out when the blower is put down on ground it's causing the issue. When the blower is raised up there is no noise other than a nice per.

Thanks in advance!
I searched back to find this post from several years ago:

This is hard to describe without a picture, but I'll try.
The snowthrower driveshaft has a yoke and coupler on the end.
The mid-to-front PTO driveshaft has a yoke and coupler on each end. (You can see that the yokes on each end are oriented the same, "in phase".)
The smaller, inner end of the PTO driveshaft (the end with the spline) goes toward the front.
Both these couplers (the one on the snowthrower driveshaft and the one on the splined end of the mid-to-front PTO driveshaft) get attached to the front hitch assembly. With the engine off, if you put your mid PTO in neutral you can turn the entire drive train by hand.
Couple the snowthrower driveshaft to the hitch assembly. Couple the rear coupling of the driveshaft (the larger, outer end) to the mid PTO. Turn the driveshaft by hand until the yoke is lined up with the snowthrower yoke that is already attached to the front hitch assembly.
When you couple the front driveshaft coupling to the front hitch assembly, make sure the "knuckles" on the universals are oriented the same way as the "knuckles" on the snowthrower driveshaft.
Since everything is already coupled, standing between the snowthrower and the front of the tractor, you can see the yokes attached to the front (from the snowthrower) and the back (from the mid PTO) of the front hitch assembly. If they are not "in phase", it's probably easiest to uncouple the snowthrower, turn the shaft until it's lined up with the pto driveshaft, and recouple.

47" Snowblower Operating Manual OMM147922 J2 says (on page 6, Connecting Driveshaft) NOTE: For optimal performance, align attachment driveshaft yoke with mid-to-front PTO driveshaft yoke.
Front PTO Kit Installation Instruction Manual LVU14264 J2 says (on page 2, Install Front PTO Driveshaft) IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! The spring collars on the PTO driveshaft must lock in position on the transaxle shaft and drive assembly shaft.
And:
NOTE: This kit uses a telescoping driveshaft. The smaller, inner shaft connects to the front PTO drive assembly, the larger, outer shaft connects to the transaxle shaft.

Hope this helps. Aligning the two drive shafts eliminated the noise for me, I know others had a lot of noise, even with the shafts aligned.

Look at that!!!!! Ill give it a try, thank you all so much!!!

chipsndust said:
I searched back to find this post from several years ago:

This is hard to describe without a picture, but I'll try.
The snowthrower driveshaft has a yoke and coupler on the end.
The mid-to-front PTO driveshaft has a yoke and coupler on each end. (You can see that the yokes on each end are oriented the same, "in phase".)
The smaller, inner end of the PTO driveshaft (the end with the spline) goes toward the front.
Both these couplers (the one on the snowthrower driveshaft and the one on the splined end of the mid-to-front PTO driveshaft) get attached to the front hitch assembly. With the engine off, if you put your mid PTO in neutral you can turn the entire drive train by hand.
Couple the snowthrower driveshaft to the hitch assembly. Couple the rear coupling of the driveshaft (the larger, outer end) to the mid PTO. Turn the driveshaft by hand until the yoke is lined up with the snowthrower yoke that is already attached to the front hitch assembly.
When you couple the front driveshaft coupling to the front hitch assembly, make sure the "knuckles" on the universals are oriented the same way as the "knuckles" on the snowthrower driveshaft.
Since everything is already coupled, standing between the snowthrower and the front of the tractor, you can see the yokes attached to the front (from the snowthrower) and the back (from the mid PTO) of the front hitch assembly. If they are not "in phase", it's probably easiest to uncouple the snowthrower, turn the shaft until it's lined up with the pto driveshaft, and recouple.

47" Snowblower Operating Manual OMM147922 J2 says (on page 6, Connecting Driveshaft) NOTE: For optimal performance, align attachment driveshaft yoke with mid-to-front PTO driveshaft yoke.
Front PTO Kit Installation Instruction Manual LVU14264 J2 says (on page 2, Install Front PTO Driveshaft) IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! The spring collars on the PTO driveshaft must lock in position on the transaxle shaft and drive assembly shaft.
And:
NOTE: This kit uses a telescoping driveshaft. The smaller, inner shaft connects to the front PTO drive assembly, the larger, outer shaft connects to the transaxle shaft.

Hope this helps. Aligning the two drive shafts eliminated the noise for me, I know others had a lot of noise, even with the shafts aligned.

/ Snowblower noise on 2305 front blower #9  
I'm looking to sell this setup if anyone is interested? Not sure what shipping would be or local pick up in CNY.

Attachments

• 91046d1197215933-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00826.jpg
    91046d1197215933-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00826.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 2,236
Guys update. I lined up the u joints per the post above and my sweet spot is back and the noise and vibration has subsided! I might still get the kit to cv joints next year if we get more snow. Thanks again!!!.,