02' 4300 won't start

/ 02' 4300 won't start #1  

arkvet

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300 HST 4WD
Used the ole' 4300 to do some snow clearing this past week (not often I get that pleasure here in Arkansas). Everything worked fine. Shut it off two days ago and it sat overnight. Yesterday I sat down in the seat and turned the key. Nothing. Not even an attempt at starting. I made sure my pto was disengaged and that the HST pedals were loose / in neutral position. I put the parking break on (even though I usually never do to start). Still nothing.

No click at all when turning key from off to run position. Small click from K6 module when turning key from run to start position. That's it.

Also, (and this may mean nothing at all)... For the longest time my parking break light has stayed on at all times despite my parking break being off. Now the light is off (even when I put the break on) albeit the tractor isn't running, but when the key is turned to the run and the start position the parking break light is not illuminated (and it has been for a very long time). Again, this may be a total separate issue and have nothing to do with not starting. Just trying to give all the information I have.

I have had the tractor about 3 years and this is the first time for this particular issue.

Hoping someone can give some advice on where my problem probably lies.

Thanks!

/ 02' 4300 won't start
Battery is good. When I bought the tractor it had suffered from the common problem of battery overflow / corrosion that you'll read about in many other threads. I tore it down and replaced the plate that the battery sits on. I then retrofitted a yellow Optima battery. Expensive but by far the best thing I did for the tractor. It was 95% charged showing 12.9v when I tested it yesterday. Terminals are good and clean too.

/ 02' 4300 won't start
I didn't remove the battery cables to check but they have zero corrosion and the lights / gauges light up quickly when the key is turned to run position.

/ 02' 4300 won't start
Forgive me if I'm incorrect... but wouldn't the thermistor problem still allow the engine to crank... just not start? My engine won't crank. Other than a small click in the K6 relay/module (when turned to start position) and the lights on the console... there is nothing. Thermistor would keep from starting but it would still crank, right?

/ 02' 4300 won't start #7  
Could be a bad ground. When you turn your head lights are they working? Also, even-thou your battery shows 12.9 volt it does not necessarily mean its good. If you have a load tester that could confirm that it holds its load or a volt meter and turn the lights. Then again maybe you have already try that.

/ 02' 4300 won't start
weather is pretty nasty here right now... and of course the tractor is out in the elements. I haven't done a load test on the battery and I honestly didn't check to see if the headlights were actually on when the dash lit up. I'm going to start pulling fuses and cleaning connections / terminals and see if I can come up with something.

I've read some old threads that mention a neutral sensor switch that is located under the HST pedals. That may be a place I need to be looking. The tractor was operating perfectly fine and turned off in that condition the day before.

I pulled the k6 relay (the one making the only small click) at lunch and swapped it with and adjacent relay. No change. Click from same k6 slot.

I do NOT have any solenoid click with turning the key to run or start.

I'll check connections... any more suggestions welcome.

/ 02' 4300 won't start #9  
Don't forget the ground cable connection, not at the battery as you have already check that one, but at the other end. Keep us up to date. Good luck!

/ 02' 4300 won't start #10  
A bad thermistor will not stop it from turning over. Sounds like a battery related issue.