5x03 hydraulic Question

/ 5x03 hydraulic Question #1  

Tony S

Bronze Member
Tractor
55 Super John Deere 5303
Looking at possible purchase of a 5103 4wd with fel. The seller stated that the tractor went into a pond. Water was high enough that they had to replace the electronic dash components. He said that the tractor was taken out of pond as soon as possible by the local dealer. the dealership than drained all fluids and replaced with fresh oils. He stated that the hydraulic oil was fine as it is a closed system so no water could get in. I'm not up to speed on this series of tractor so would like your idea's on this. I thought that there would be a breather of some sort for the hydraulic oil res. or is this all sealed. I'm not sure so maybe he was talking about the fel cyclinders and not the where the oil is sealed. I would think that the dealer would do everything the right way. He bought it from the insurance company and has about 150 hours on it after the water problem.

/ 5x03 hydraulic Question #2  
I have a 5203 and the only place I can think of that water could enter the hydraulic system is through the dipstick/fill port behind the seat. It's sealed in place by an expanding rubber plug so no water should have entered as long as it was in place. For expert advice contact a JD service tech.

/ 5x03 hydraulic Question #3  
All hyd systems I've been around have a breather including a JD 5103. Parts #8 RE261710 Breather. Besides water getting into the hyd breather I also think water would leak into trans by way of the dual shift levers if tractor was submerged under water.

Attachments

• PY52436________UN04JUN08.gif
    PY52436________UN04JUN08.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 122
   / 5x03 hydraulic Question
Thanks for the help. I think I will pass on this tractor his price is compareable to non dunked machines and he says he stuck on this price.