5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back

/ 5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back #1  

cmast95

Tractor
5300 JD
I have a jd 5300 about 3500 hrs it will start run about 5 seconds then it dies and it takes a long time to get it started back i usually have to crack the injector lines i have replaced all filters and drained the fuel tank any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

/ 5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back #2  
If you're having to "crack the injector lines" to start every time then you've possibly got a bad seal/gasket at an injector or along the fuel path somewhere, possibly a crack in one of the the fuel lines...had the problem on my old massey mf 35...once I could start it after cracking the injectors and getting it running the pump would put out enough pressure to keep the air out...if it died or I turned it off, air would get into the system and I'd have a he** of a time starting it again...my problem ended up being a bad "gasket" (dunno the proper name but it was the little copper gasket thing right at the head)...no problems since...

I'd recommend checking the entire fuel path, (tank to injector) repair or replace any part that has even a small "dribble" of diesel coming out...good luck, hope this helped a little...

Rich

/ 5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back #3  
I'd suggest to remove the fuel return line and fitting on inj pump that return line attaches and see if engine will run. If so check fitting &/or line for obstructions.

/ 5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back #4  
Since there is no fuel pump on the 5300 and the injection pump and gravity have to do all the work it is important there is air or junk in the fuel line. When you drained the tank did you insure the tank was clean? I would suggest that you change the fuel line from the tank to the filter. It may not be leaking fuel but it still maybe sucking a little air in. Looking at JD parts the fuel line is part number TY22552. It is 300 in long and inside diameter of .375.

This youtube video may help and be the answer to what your problem is. The 5203 has the 3029 engine like your does

JD 5203 John Deere tractor fuel filter change - YouTube

Also before putting the fuel filter on fill it up first. I have include a picture from the tech manual of my 5210 should be close to what you have.

Attachments

• fuelsystem.pdf
    575.6 KB · Views: 168
   / 5300 jd starts runs about 5 seconds dies will not start back
thanks for all the advice