2520, what size disc

/ 2520, what size disc #1  

cat tracks

Tractor
john deere 2520
What size disc harrow can my 2520 comfortably handle and with what weight combinations (front and rear)? Rear tires are not presently filled and I would prefer not to fill them if at all possible because this tractor is used for finish mowing. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Also I'm not nesessarily stuck on JD implements only, so I'd be interested in any pros or cons of other brands as well. Oh, the size of the jos are (3) 2 acre plots for now, knowing once I get going the neighbors will come calling. :)

/ 2520, what size disc #2  
You will need to look at the specs that each manufacturer gives. They will generally tell you that for every foot of the implement size will require so many horsepower. With that you will be able to match up for your 2520.

/ 2520, what size disc #3  
You should be able to handle a 10 foot disc . I would call SWEET TRACTOR . COM . He has good inventory and he run's everything through the shop .

/ 2520, what size disc #4  
I'd go just a bit wider than your wheel tracks, I have a 7 foot disc for my Kubota L3400 (35 hp 4wd) and it's almost too much under heavy soil conditions, but the price was right (free). What does Deere recommend? For comparison, Kubota recommends no more than a 5 foot harrow for my tractor.

Sean

/ 2520, what size disc #5  
Soon after buying my 2520 in May 2011 I opened up a new garden site. My neighbor had a single bottom plow that I borrowed and a month after plowing I borrowed his disc harrow. I don't know the specifics of this harrow but by judging from the pics my guess is 66"-72"? I had no problem pulling it in 4wd, lo range. My rear tires are loaded.

P6180032.JPG P6180031.jpg

/ 2520, what size disc #6  
I wouldn't go over a 66-72". Just enough to cut out your tracks because your tires aren't filled. Weight is your friend when plowing and disking.

/ 2520, what size disc #7  
What size disc harrow can my 2520 comfortably handle and with what weight combinations (front and rear)? Rear tires are not presently filled and I would prefer not to fill them if at all possible because this tractor is used for finish mowing. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Also I'm not nesessarily stuck on JD implements only, so I'd be interested in any pros or cons of other brands as well. Oh, the size of the jos are (3) 2 acre plots for now, knowing once I get going the neighbors will come calling. :)

i would recommend you get something made for a light tractor without rear filled tires, a 647 or 655 tiller comes to mind. Tillers are a better choice where you need a tractor light enough to mow with because they will propel the tractor forwards as they cut through the sod and dirt. Dont need much traction for tillers but enough to hold the tiller back,

/ 2520, what size disc #8  
i would recommend you get something made for a light tractor without rear filled tires, a 647 or 655 tiller comes to mind. Tillers are a better choice where you need a tractor light enough to mow with because they will propel the tractor forwards as they cut through the sod and dirt. Dont need much traction for tillers but enough to hold the tiller back,

6 acres is a lot of tilling, ok if you have lots of time I guess. I'm giving serious thought to getting a better disc myself, might be a good time to get some prices over the winter..

A disc was an easy decision for me, I have loaded R1's and too much weight to finish mow with. In the spring, I wouldn't even need the tiller if I was driving on the lawn, the tires would do the job for me :laughing:

Sean

/ 2520, what size disc #9  
We manufacture a 5'9" box frame disc that fits small compact tractors perfectly. It is offered in 16", 18" or 20" blades and comes with sealed bearings and a screw type adjustment that makes it simple to change the angle of the gangs. If you want a lighter, less expensive harrow, we offer an angle frame harrow with some great features. Both harrows are quickhitch and i match compatible and ship free within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC to a business or supporting freight terminal.
Travis

/ 2520, what size disc #10  
6 acres is a lot of tilling, ok if you have lots of time I guess. I'm giving serious thought to getting a better disc myself, might be a good time to get some prices over the winter..

A disc was an easy decision for me, I have loaded R1's and too much weight to finish mow with. In the spring, I wouldn't even need the tiller if I was driving on the lawn, the tires would do the job for me :laughing:Sean

I've never successfully used a disc harrow( I had an old single gang(sucked)). Now I use a 60" tiller from TSC. It works great. I till about 2-3 acres in about about 4-5 hours. Second pass is always much faster. Ymmv