JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
A couple weeks ago I got in a bind working near the edge of a small creek. Front tires got over a buried log and I couldn't back out or push with loader and back out. Front was bottomed out. Wound up with second tractor and PTO winch to pull it out. Got it home and cleaned up and didn't see any damage. I had just installed my horizontal exhaust the day before and amazingly it was not damaged either.

I noticed a noise this afternoon while running at road speed going to swap implements. Sounded like a stick flopping. Upon further inspection attached is what I found. I am certain this occurred with the creek incident and the guard was what I was hearing. It looks like the attachment points were stripped out. I managed to work it back into place, but after 30 to 45 minutes of grading drive I noticed it had come off.

Questions:
1) Is it possible to replace this piece (s) without removing the drive shaft?
2) Any likelihood anything else damaged? Doesn't seem to be.
3) Looks like I might have room to run a short screw through to hold together, but I don't want to start "patching" either.

The pictures show how it was found, it slid back on and it slipping back off.

Any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20130120_163141.png

ForumRunner_20130120_163206.png

ForumRunner_20130120_163220.png

ForumRunner_20130120_163234.png

ForumRunner_20130120_163155.png

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #2  
It looks as though you might be able to turn the cover a quarter of a turn and drill a new hole to reattach it to the end.

You won't be able to replace without removing one end of the drive shaft.

As for other damage the front shaft could be bent if you hit that log pretty good. But I doubt it.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #3  
I suggest working the guard back onto the collar. Then place a hose clamp over the guard, clamping it to the collar.

Be very careful of placing any fastener, that you don't contact the rotating shaft. Not for fear of damage, the noise will drive you crazy.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #4  
That is plastic right? How about a little construction glue? Screw, hose clamp, all good ideas.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard
Yes it is plastic. I do not think it bent anything and don't feel any sort of vibration. Looks like it was held together with a plastic rivet or something. My guess is while I was backing up it contacted the log while turning. Hate to "rig" it but don't see the need to carry it to the extreme. The only reason/benefit of using screw is it could be easily removed. Hose clamp plus short self tapping sheet metal screw may be enough to hold it. Was a little surprised it backed off today just grading the driveway.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #6  
The guard is made of poly -something. Not glue friendly. Although, a hot melt glue might work.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #7  
It looks as though you might be able to turn the cover a quarter of a turn and drill a new hole to reattach it to the end.

That would be my first choice.

I assume by the looks of it that this guard is meant to keep crud off the machined surface of the driveshaft, and isn't some blasted lawyer mandated item to prevent decapitation of prairie dogs. If it's there to keep crud off, then I would find a way to fix it. If it's a lawyer shield only, then I'll leave it up to you as to whether to keep it or get rid of it.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #8  
I assume by the looks of it that this guard is meant to keep crud off the machined surface of the driveshaft, and isn't some blasted lawyer mandated item to prevent decapitation of prairie dogs. If it's there to keep crud off, then I would find a way to fix it. If it's a lawyer shield only, then I'll leave it up to you as to whether to keep it or get rid of it.

You would be surprised the things you can wrap around a drive shaft without a guard of some sort. Hay, baler twine and old fence wire come to mind. A Leatherman tool has saved my butt from walking home before.

That reminds me, one time I ran over a metal slinky with my truck. If I didn't have my fence pliers with me I'd still be on the side of the road! Do you have any idea how long those dang things are?

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard
Definitely planning to correct/repair the guard. Just want to make sure I make a good decision on how it is repaired. I plan to have this tractor a long time and don't want to rig it. I want it to remain as close to like new as possible.

/ JD 5303 Front Drive Shaft Guard #10  
DT86, good points that I failed to consider. One year I found numerous trampoline springs in the yard because some inDUHvidual neighbor didn't anchor their tramp, and a wind storm blew the dam thing to who knows where.