Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #21  
I'm surprised the mills don't complain about the trees being pushed over instead of being cut off with a saw first. You might be putting unseen cracks in the log that won't show until they are sawed out. That machine could pop the stumps easy enough so are you saving any real time pushing them over?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
I have actually been cutting them until now and taking them to the mill. The operator guy said that it would be quicker to just push the trees over, then cut the stump off. Good point about the mill though. So far they have not been complaining, but I only just dropped off a load Monday that were harvested using the "push over" method.

I'm meeting with them today, so I'll discuss it with them.

Appreciate the advice on driving on the blacktop. You're right about them having too much time on their hands! They are mostly retired folks that have nothing to do but check out everthing, and I mean everything, that is going on. When I drive my tractor back from working on the lot, I go real slow so that I don't throw any mud from the tires when the ground is wet.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #23  
I'm surprised the mills don't complain about the trees being pushed over instead of being cut off with a saw first. You might be putting unseen cracks in the log that won't show until they are sawed out. That machine could pop the stumps easy enough so are you saving any real time pushing them over?

On most trees you dig around them a little bit to break off the support roots, then they will push over easily and with minimal damage to the tree. The bigger they are the easier it is, with the smaller ones its easier to break them off.

Brett

Here are some other shots from me working on this lot. Here's me first getting started skidding out the first few logs:

lumberday1-01.jpg

lumberday1-03.jpg

lumberday1-05.jpg

lumberday1-06.jpg

lumberday4-01.jpg

lumberday5-02.jpg

I have been grinding down the stumps in areas away from the driveway, house foundation and septic drain field, where they will be removed.

sg100-archive.jpg

I have been chipping up the tops and side branches:

lumberday3-01.jpg

Got a pretty good sized pile alerady:

chips02.jpg

So this is as far as I gotten doing it solo so far.

lumberday5-01.jpg

Things should really start picking up now with the Case on site and the operator has a helper running a saw. I just need to try to keep up with them, skidding out the trees, cutting them into 16 sections and hauling them to the mill. I'm glad I got the fuel tank shielding for my tractor and relocated my hydraulic hoses for the loader so they don't hang down like they did before! And I only get to work on the weekends (got a daytime job as well).

On most trees you dig around them a little bit to break off the support roots, then they will push over easily and with minimal damage to the tree. The bigger they are the easier it is, with the smaller ones its easier to break them off.
That's probably how he will do it.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #26  
You're keepin' busy! :laughing: Good lookin' results, too.

I've never had the opportunity to travel back east or to the southern states. So, your pictures are amazing! Beautiful area! Thanks for posting.

One additional consideration for moving the excavator on/off the road surface - use old tires or some old scrap 3/4" plywood (or both) on the thinner asphalt at approaches or driveways. Can help save the asphalt edges.

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #27  
Here are some other shots from me working on this lot. Here's me first getting started skidding out the first few logs:

lumberday1-01.jpg

lumberday1-03.jpg

lumberday1-05.jpg

lumberday1-06.jpg

lumberday4-01.jpg

lumberday5-02.jpg

I have been grinding down the stumps in areas away from the driveway, house foundation and septic drain field, where they will be removed.

sg100-archive.jpg

I have been chipping up the tops and side branches:

lumberday3-01.jpg

Got a pretty good sized pile alerady:

chips02.jpg

So this is as far as I gotten doing it solo so far.

lumberday5-01.jpg

Things should really start picking up now with the Case on site and the operator has a helper running a saw. I just need to try to keep up with them, skidding out the trees, cutting them into 16 sections and hauling them to the mill. I'm glad I got the fuel tank shielding for my tractor and relocated my hydraulic hoses for the loader so they don't hang down like they did before! And I only get to work on the weekends (got a daytime job as well).

You sure do have nice stuff! I have always wanted a loader with a grapple like that but I just can't do it financially. I figure that I'm fortunate to have what I do but it's nice to see someone living my fantasy. I like working in the woods, especially this time of the year when it's cool. I'm anxiously waiting delivery of my 5105M so I can start dragging out logs for next years firewood. It's got to be fun when you have the right equipment. Enjoy!

Appreciate the tip about tires and plywood! I got some of that laying around I'm sure.

They made great progress today! Here's what the approach looks like now:

day2-1.jpg

And they dropped off the cousin to the CX130 to help with the leveling:

day2-2.jpg

They are even cutting up the logs for me into 16' 6" sections! Man, I'm going to be busy hauling logs to the mill. My poor 7ton GN and duramax are going to be feeling some pain.

day2-3.jpg

day2-4.jpg

One of the stump piles:

day2-5.jpg

Building site is pretty much cleared. It would have taken me weeks to do with my tractor. Talk about the right tool for the job!

day2-6.jpg

View is starting to take shape. Those are cow pastures you can see. I think there are a few hundred connected acres with maybe 50 head on them and a bunch of calves.

day2-7.jpg

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #29  
Looking really good!

Thanks! They are really moving along. House site is completely cleared at this point.

day3-1.jpg

day3-2.jpg

day3-3.jpg