Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #51  
View attachment 300008View attachment 300009

This is how it looks after removing hundreds of small to medium sized sweet gums over a two or three year period. Finally finished it up without sweating too much with the back hoe. It is hard work dragging a chain back and forth 40 feet for each tree in 100F temps or 30F temps., chainsawing and dragging brush by hand to clear from the thicket, but with the backhoe and hydraulic thumb, in less than a day, it put the remaining trees on the ground and in a pile and never left the TLB. MAN WHY DID I WAIT SO DARNED LONG TO BUY THAT THING.
edit: The area in the first photo where leaves are on the ground by the fence is about all that was open when I bought the place, the rest was thick with sweet gum trees from 12" large to 1/4" small and constantly coming up from the sweetgum balls and root sprouts. By clearing it out, I lost my doe deer that raised a fawn there every year, but it sure looks better now. I can even see the back pasture across the creek
Edit: in the first photo where leaves are by the fence is about all that was open when I got the place> The rest was overgrown with 1/4" to 12" diameter saplings to medium sized sweet gum trees so thick that you couldn't walk thru them. I can now see my back pasture thru the trees. NO Deer habitat now but then again, I don't have that doe eating on my fruit trees either.

Gary we still have lots of deer, but man they eat all the wifeys flowers and shrubs. Of course we ate one of them this winter too:) Ka-Boom!

James K0UA

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
Thanks for the pictures. Love seeing your pictures! In the first picture looks like your front tires are squatted down a little, how much do you think you are lifting?
My guess would be around 3000lbs or so. Fronts are aired to the max. I will double check though now that its cold outside.

Might just be time to upgrade to a tandem dually trailer.
Lol! I have been talking to the guy I purchased my current trailer from about doing just that! I paid $5400 for it just over a year ago. He said he would give me $5000 for it to trade in on a 10ton tandem.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #54  
Lol! I have been talking to the guy I purchased my current trailer from about doing just that! I paid $5400 for it just over a year ago. He said he would give me $5000 for it to trade in on a 10ton tandem.

That's a nice trade price, what the rate on the new one though? You will REALLY be working that LB7 then.

$8k. Same make (Better Built). Deck would be 20' like my current one, but the dovetail would be 5' instead of 4', and there would be 2 drop legs (2 speed), instead if a single. It would have a pair of Dexter 10k axles in oil bath. Yes, my poor LB7 will get a workout for sure. It just failed inspection today. I need new ball joints upper and lower on both sides. They are the originals, so I'm not surprised. I also need to replace the injectors. They were done once under warranty, but I have started blowing blue smoke at idle when warn and the starting from a stop light. I have also begun making oil (diesel from injectors not closing all the way making it into the crankcase). That is going to be a fun job on the LB7...

So I ended up getting the guy to bring a log truck to get a load out. He'll be back in the morning to grab most of the cut logs as well.

day7-1.jpg

Almost done:

day7-2.jpg

You can only have 10' overhanging, so they had to cut the trees short:

day7-3.jpg

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #56  
Maybe time to add a little more umph to the old Duramax. LUTT

Been running a Predator at 85hp for the last 10 years already. :D Coolant temp gets up there in a hurry climbing hills! Should probably think about backing it down to the 65hp tow setting.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #58  
Been running a Predator at 85hp for the last 10 years already. :D Coolant temp gets up there in a hurry climbing hills! Should probably think about backing it down to the 65hp tow setting.

Hard to go backwards on horsepower! Sure miss my old dmax. LUTT

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #59  

Just had my dmax done - about $3,300 - with new lines and 3 micron fuel filter. Kennedy Diesel (here on TBN). Really nice to have my truck - BACK - though. Fuel economy and still put you back in the seat! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #60  

You could buy a nice old 2-ton truck for $5000 and it would haul more than a tandem gooseneck behind a pickup. A nice 70's vintage C-60 or C-65 Chevy/GMC would look good in your collection. :D