Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
I have always wondered where this 1-ton 2-ton designations originated from. I mean, if a 2-ton truck can carry more wood than a 10-ton trailer, then those designators appear to be way off...

I have orderd a bunch of stuff from Kennedy Diesel in the past (was an avid poster on thedieselpage for a while). Truck failed inspection yesterday, needs new upper and lower balljoints on both sides. Just picked up Moog ones from the store. They have a "lifetime" warrany. Hopefully they will give me another 12 years of service. Also stopped by the Chevy dealer and picked up the Allison spin on filter (and large filter that goes underneath where you have to remove the pan to get to it). That one has never been changed in 12 years, 110k. I figured it was time, especially with all the towing I have been doing lately.

Kennedy's injectors seem a bit pricey at $2000. I can get the same genuine Bosh rebuild ones using the most updated parts for around $1600 elsewhere. I'll double check that I'm comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
   / Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #62  
I have always wondered where this 1-ton 2-ton designations originated from. I mean, if a 2-ton truck can carry more wood than a 10-ton trailer, then those designators appear to be way off...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was the true load capacity of trucks way back, maybe in the '20s or '30s. As with everything else, they have grown over the years and kept the same designation. Just like backhoes, dozers, etc. A JD 450 dozer today is much more machine than the original 450 was.

As for the load capacity, I have a 2-ton '75 Chevy C-60 with a 14' dump bed and according to the build sheet (based on axles, springs, frame, etc) it can gross 32,000lbs, empty weight is 11,000. A couple weeks ago I was hauling gravel with it and the biggest loads were 9.5 tons, about 8-tons is ideal. The biggest difference between something like that and a 1-ton and a trailer is that the 2-ton is built to do that all day long, every day.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #63  
Kennedy's injectors seem a bit pricey at $2000. I can get the same genuine Bosh rebuild ones using the most updated parts for around $1600 elsewhere. I double check that I'm comparing apples to apples.

IIRC - the Bosch reman's were $1,699. My bill included $800 labor, oil change, and filters, etc. Good friend took his '02 to a local shop and they charged him just over $6K! On top of that, the shop did NOT refund the core charge, either!! :eek:

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #64  
IIRC - the Bosch reman's were $1,699. My bill included $800 labor, oil change, and filters, etc. Good friend took his '02 to a local shop and they charged him just over $6K! On top of that, the shop did NOT refund the core charge, either!! :eek:

AKfish

They are 2k on Kennedy's site right now.
Kennedy Diesel

I know there are cheaper places out there. Kennedy is good to deal with though.

Yeah, Kennedy is great. Like I said, I have gotten a bunch of stuff from him in the past. This weekend I'll be busy doing the ball joints and tranny oil and filters. The injectors actually seem to be behaving right now, but I'm sure I'm on borrowed time. Or maybe all that log hauling "cleared them out". :D

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #66  
I'd jump on that trailer. It's nice having those 4 extra tires until your at the tire shop. If you have a flat it's not an emergency as it would be with what you have now. I can also carry a lot more weight and overloading it isn't as worry some as it would be on a smaller trailer. I have a 25+5 tandem dual.

Brett

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #67  
They are 2k on Kennedy's site right now.
Kennedy Diesel

I know there are cheaper places out there. Kennedy is good to deal with though.

Yikes! I guess I got in the door at the right time.. I had a good experience with them as well - Brent is very helpful.

After spending some time on several of the diesel truck forums, I gave a wide berth to Pensecola Diesel. Initially, I was pretty excited by their prices and claims about NEW Bosch injectors. Nearly to a person; folk's indicated to me that you cannot buy NEW Bosch injectors for the LB7 dMax. Although, I tracked down a shop that offered to sell me NEW injectors for $850 apiece!! :eek: Of course, I would be pretty hard-pressed to tell the difference between a reman and a new one... So, those guys could easily walk with the markup.

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #68  
Yeah, Kennedy is great. Like I said, I have gotten a bunch of stuff from him in the past. This weekend I'll be busy doing the ball joints and tranny oil and filters. The injectors actually seem to be behaving right now, but I'm sure I'm on borrowed time. Or maybe all that log hauling "cleared them out". :D

Yeah... that's what I told myself after hauling my 5075M 35 miles to help a friend clear 150 round bales off his hay fields before a major low pressure turned them into balls of mold. But, it was not to be - just lot's more smoke - and stinging eyes when waiting at stop signs!

Curious though; how many miles do you have on the truck since the warranty replacement?

AKfish

I'd jump on that trailer. It's nice having those 4 extra tires until your at the tire shop. If you have a flat it's not an emergency as it would be with what you have now. I can also carry a lot more weight and overloading it isn't as worry some as it would be on a smaller trailer. I have a 25+5 tandem dual.
So I traded in the old trailer and '69 GMC truck (turns out the trailer dealer collect old trucks!). Pushing the '69 up on the old trailer (after I pulled the original 4 bolt main 350).

oldgnbye.jpg

And here's the new trailer!

bigtex1.jpg

I love the way the ramps work compared to the old ones! They make no noise going over bumps!

bigtex2.jpg

Also, the deck is actually lower to the ground than the old one due the design with metal covers over the wheels and the main frame rails flush with the boards.

bigtex3.jpg

bigtex4.jpg

And I love the Dexter 10k oil bath axles with the see through caps!

bigtex5.jpg

One of the better trades I have made in a while I think!

Last edited:
Yeah... that's what I told myself after hauling my 5075M 35 miles to help a friend clear 150 round bales off his hay fields before a major low pressure turned them into balls of mold. But, it was not to be - just lot's more smoke - and stinging eyes when waiting at stop signs!
Lol!

Curious though; how many miles do you have on the truck since the warranty replacement?
I'm curious too. Let me pull the paperwork....

Wow, all 8 injectors were replaced at 75k miles back in 2007. Truck now has 110k on it, so the replacement injectors only lasted 35k...