Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #1  

pclausen

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5085M, Ford 1700, JD GT235
We got a couple of inches of rain last week, so I figured I might as well see if I can just push these 80ft tall trees over.

Getting all lined up and ready to give it a push:

5085mtree1.jpg

What do you know, after a couple of attempts it came right down!

5085mtree2.jpg

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #2  
the only thing i hate about pushing over trees, is when they split in half and crash into the cab.

I had this happen one time ..and luckily i was in a Case 850C dozer at the time, otherwise id have been smashed.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #3  
the only thing i hate about pushing over trees, is when they split in half and crash into the cab.

I had this happen one time ..and luckily i was in a Case 850C dozer at the time, otherwise id have been smashed.

I was going to say the same thing. One of the hazards of pushing over trees is the risk of the top breaking off and coming down on top of you. It can be fatal. Be careful.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
I did push over some smaller hardwoods first and a smallish branch did come down and hit the cab roof. Was quite loud actually. After that I got a lot more careful. I remember knocking over small trees with my 4700 open station tractor maybe 6 years back now, and I did have a largish branch come down and hit me on the head. My friend that was running the chain saw said I was out for a couple of minutes. He took me to the hospital to get my head stitched back up.

I don't plan to do any more trees like this, a large track hoe is coming on-site tomorrow to take down all the rest of the trees and excavate for the house that is being build on this lot. The reason I took down that one tree, is that I needed it to get a full load of lumber to take to the mill tomorrow morning.

I appreciate the warnings guys! I'm already on my second cab on this tractor, I don't plan to have it replaced again, let alone injure myself again like I did on my open station.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #5  
I appreciate the warnings guys! I'm already on my second cab on this tractor, I don't plan to have it replaced again, let alone injure myself again like I did on my open station.

Yikes..! I guess I missed out on that story - 2nd cab. I had a pretty long - 6" limb come off the top of a big Aspen tree when I was takin' it down with the backhoe. The tree twisted and rolled off of another tree as it was falling and the limb came down on top of me and the hoe ROPS. No stitches... but if it weren't for the ROPS I might be watchin' movies all day and drool coming down my chin...

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #6  
Curious... where's all the roots for that tree?? Just have a big taproot like a dandelion? Trees up here have all the roots in the top 18"-24" of dirt. Lateral roots branch out and form a big umbrella. Hard to push them over when the ground is soft 'cause the roots will extend back underneath the tractor, etc. and you end up with roots, dirts, under the engine pan and front differential, etc.

Different with a D-6, 8, 9. Just pile everything up into a big wad of windrows.

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #7  
Most species of trees don't have a real tap root after they are saplings. All the roots are in those 18" thick umbrella mats you speak of. I once pushed over a twenty foot poplar tree with my 880 David brown 2WD and when the tree gave way the root mat came up between the front and rear wheels and left me high centered with three wheels off the ground. I had to saw off the tree at the stump working around the loader frame. Three saw chains later it settled back enough so I could get off it using the diff lock.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #8  
I think that most of us that have pushed over a few trees have had some close-calls....or been hit by stuff. I've had both....and have pretty much stopped this practice. The tree has really gotta be a leaner for me to push on it...even then, it better have no branches that can get you. I always have a few dead pines that LOOK so tempting and easy to push.....those are the real widow-makers. Nothing like a barber-chair to put you into pucker mode.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #9  
Don't do it.Almost got crushed doing the same thing...............just very lucky.Alone a mile from any road....

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
Curious... where's all the roots for that tree??
Yeah, I was expecting more too. Here's a closeup of the root ball after I got rid of the rest of the tree:

rootball.jpg

Guess there just isn't that much there. Amazing that can hold up a 90ft tall tree!