HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine)

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #1  

slc3

Tractor
John Deere
It's EXTREMELY cold here today. I think the coldest it's been since I had this tractor (about five years, but only 240 hours on it).

I have a little bucket on the tractor and a little TR3 rake on the back. It's been fine with this setup for a long time and a lot of bad weather. I use it to rake my arena(takes about 15-20 min, once every 3 days) and to clear the driveway(a couple times a year). I changed the oil and gave it a new battery a few months ago, been running great, no problems. Really a nice little tractor.

I let it warm up for a couple minutes this morning, then started it, it starts fine. But EVERY time I try to take it out of neutral, it quits. I tried this repeatedly, same result each time.

Any ideas? I'm a little old lady all alone, and can't get out to get food for my 100 cats (JUUUUST kidding).

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #2  
maybe a safety switch is frozen? Try raising and lowering the seat a couple of times, maybe also cycle the PTO knob in case it is causing the problem?

Last edited:
   / HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #3  
I had the same problem with my JD2305, turns out the foam material used in the seat got to stiff from the cold to allow the seat to compress and engage the seat safety switch when seated. I tested this theory out by removing the switch/harness from the seat botom, and manually depressing the seat safety switch - with the tractor running and while I was seated on the tractor. I guess moisture got in the foam and froze with the tractor parked (outside no cover) and the seat flipped forward.

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #4  
My 2210 does this when the seat freezes an doesn't compress. Unplug the plug from the bottom of the seat and jumper the plug going back to the tractor (a paper clip will work) for test purposes.

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #5  
I've never had this problem. Keep my 2210 in an unheated, uninsulated COLD garage. When minus 20 outside it's probably minus 5 or so inside the garage, the 2210 has always started -even without the block heater at these temps. Never had the seat sensor not work. Only cold weather "incident" I ever had in 8 years was the motor oil -summer oil- was too thick to circulate one time and I had a no oil pressure light on. I had to pop on a magnetic heater on the oil pan to warm the oil so I could run it that day. No snow this year, haven't run it in about a month, poor thing is sitting there all alone in the cold with the battery removed. :(

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #6  
I've never had this problem. Keep my 2210 in an unheated, uninsulated COLD garage. When minus 20 outside it's probably minus 5 or so inside the garage, the 2210 has always started -even without the block heater at these temps. Never had the seat sensor not work. Only cold weather "incident" I ever had in 8 years was the motor oil -summer oil- was too thick to circulate one time and I had a no oil pressure light on. I had to pop on a magnetic heater on the oil pan to warm the oil so I could run it that day. No snow this year, haven't run it in about a month, poor thing is sitting there all alone in the cold with the battery removed. :(

Yes but you park it out of the weather. Seat doesn't get very wet inside the garage.

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #7  
Yep, my vote is the seat switch. I unplugged and jumped mine permanently the first day I had it home. the seat switch is irrelevant when in neutral, but when in Hi or Low the seat switch is depended on for the machine to know if you are onboard or not. It thinks you are not.....

/ HELP! My little JD 2210 won't stay running when I take it out of neutral(starts fine) #8  
Haha I had a problem like that once turned out there was to much snow under the seat it wouldn't closedown the interlock switch.