Tractor
    JD 1025R, Curtis cab

Default Shear bolts in 47" front snowblower

I have been using grade 5 bolts for shear bolts in the augers and impeller (1 X 1/4-20 , with nylon insert nuts). They seem to be breaking pretty easy.

I am tempted to try grade 8 bolts of the same size, sure seems like a grade 8 1/4" bolt would break before anything else in the drive train?

I stopped buying the shear bolts from the dealer at about $4.00 each.

Anyone using grade 8 bolts for shear bolts?
    No man is prejudiced in favor of a thing knowing it to be wrong. He is attached to it on the belief of it being right.. ~Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2360

Default Re: Shear bolts in 47" front snowblower

I have the same blower, and would not upgrade to grade 8 bolts. They original shear bolts are made to shear, if the blower gets jammed, before you damage a gearbox. I,m sure you can probably get cheaper bolts at TSC, or a hardware store.
    It,s much cheaper to replace a few shear bolts a year, than a gear box, or worse.

Tractor
    JD 2720

I would stay with the grade 5 bolt, but there is no reason to pay that much for them. You should be able to buy them by the pound at any box store for a whole lot less. A trick I learned is when replacing a shear bolt, make sure it is clean and dry, then use some blue thread lock-tight. I think the nylon lock nuts work loose and things start moving a bit and that is what breaks the bolt. Or try using the more expensive conical lock nut.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305, 600hr

Bigtiller is right! I use to break shear bolts like crazy the first year I had it, until I realize that the bolt were coming loose. I did not use lock-tight, but I did put them tighter. Fix my problem. Now I brake one maybe two per winter. Didn't brake any this winter, yet.
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    JD 1025R, Curtis cab

Thanks, guys.

I have been buying the grade 5 bolts at TSC.

I have noticed that they tend to loosen up. I'll keep a closer eye on the tightness and maybe try a different type of locknut.
    No man is prejudiced in favor of a thing knowing it to be wrong. He is attached to it on the belief of it being right.. ~Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

Tractor
    JD 1026R

Agree with the others ,the nuts work loose and that is when the bolts seem to break . I don't like using the nylon because they seem to work loose .
    Last few times I tighten the bolt and nut and then put another nut on and tighten it, I went and was able to do the 9 driveways 3 times before breaking a bolt..
    Have fun and be safe !!!

JD1026R H120 fel w/54"bucket; 60" mmm ; 260 BH/w 12" bucket; ballast box; rear weights; front quick hitch w/angling kit and 54 " blade ;3pt rear 60" blade ; JD 47" frt snowblower ; Original Tractor Cab;Bush Hog 47" tiller and 15" Middle Buster

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35; IH 574,

I have a rear blower but was going through many shear bolts, (TSC 1/4"x20 plated Gr 5), mainly on the fan side but sometimes on auger, even on flat, smooth driveways. I found that when I "opened" up the chute lid to blow farther, I broke much less of the fan bolts then when I had the chute "down", which reduced flow and trajectory. The auger seems to be able to shove more snow than the fan could eject. When wide open, rarely break a bolt and then mainly the auger after hitting something (like my dog's XL KONG toy with Nylon rope).
    "Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid". John Wayne