Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #1  

BIG DOOLEY

Platinum Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE 2320
Has or does anyone hear a slight ticking sound in their Yanmar diesel engine.
Almost like a valve lifter noise.
I always wear hearing protection when running the tractor.
Recently I have been walking beside the tractor as my daughter wants to help out and run the tractor all the time.
I haven't been wearing the headphones and I can hears what sounds like lifter ticking.
It is not real loud but I asked my daughter and she can hear it too.
Tought back to when I have washed the tractor when idling without hearing protection and never remembered hearing it then.
The sound increases and decreases with the RPM's.
The sound even disappeared last weekend when the engine was hot but returned the next day.
The dealer was called about 10 - 12 days ago & a mechanic is going to listen to it tomorrow afternoon at the house.
The motor has about 37 hours on it and I already changed the oil at 34 hours.
Starts great, full power, idles smooth.
Any thoughts?
Injector, valve train ??
Tom

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #2  
Mine does the same thing. Always did, it comes and goes. Had a bad luck with my first engine at 250hrs. They replace it with a new short block and I still have that ticking. Have now a total of 390hrs on my 2305. If they do find what it is, let me know but no worry here.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #3  
There is some valvetrain noise on these engines because they have solid lifters. Hydraulic lifters in automotive engines don't have that noise.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320
There is some valvetrain noise on these engines because they have solid lifters. Hydraulic lifters in automotive engines don't have that noise.
Well I was going to ask the mechanic if they had solid lifters or hydraulic.
There will be an adjustment spec for the valve train clearance then if they are solid..
Might be worth asking them to check the gaps since the engine parts have set in.
At some point in time solid lifter engines usually have clearances checked and adjusted.
The gap for intake and exhaust valves is usually different.
Exhaust valves are hotter and the gap is usually larger by a few thousands.
Tom

After a search on the internet I found some info that the yanmar diesel valve clearance of .200 mm usually gets tighter as the engine gets older.
The valves seat farther into the seat with time and the stem rises higher decreasing the gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem.
The valves can even seat deep enough on an old engine that the valve will not completely close.
I guess I learned something new today.
Tom

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #6  
Interesting, I was going to post on this topic as I find my new to me 08 2320 has a pronounced tick especially when cold. For mine it seems to go away once fully warm.

I am glad to hear that others hear the same thing. I typically try to avoid starting posts like this because I find I am so picky with noises that history has shown me, did not affect reliability.

I do not remember hearing the noise this summer.
It was winter when I first heard the noise.
The dealer mechanic should be here in a few minutes to listen to the motor.
I will know more then I guess.
Tom

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #8  
After a search on the internet I found some info that the yanmar diesel valve clearance of .200 mm usually gets tighter as the engine gets older.
The valves seat farther into the seat with time and the stem rises higher decreasing the gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem.
The valves can even seat deep enough on an old engine that the valve will not completely close.
I guess I learned something new today.
Tom

That's actually in my Briggs manual for engines that are hard to start.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #9  
Please let us know the outcome........

I do not remember hearing the noise this summer.
It was winter when I first heard the noise.
The dealer mechanic should be here in a few minutes to listen to the motor.
I will know more then I guess.
Tom

After listening to the tractor this afternoon.
The mechanic is going to suggest to his supervisor they pick the tractor up and inspect the engine.
He wants to pull the tappet cover off and inspect the valve train components, look for loose lock nuts, poor adjustment and other sources that could be causing the noise.
He said they will call soon to arrange picking up the tractor.
Tom