Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #11  
After listening to the tractor this afternoon.
The mechanic is going to suggest to his supervisor they pick the tractor up and inspect the engine.
He wants to pull the tappet cover off and inspect the valve train components, look for loose lock nuts, poor adjustment and other sources that could be causing the noise.
He said they will call soon to arrange picking up the tractor.
Tom

Nice! Please make sure you get back to us with the result. I'm really curious of what they will find, if anything.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #12  
Any updates on this....

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320
Dealer is going to pick up the tractor Tuesday morning next week.
Tom.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #14  
That's actually in my Briggs manual for engines that are hard to start.

Seriously this summer I fixed two walk behind roto tillers that both had power losses due to of lack of lifter/valve clearance. One it was the intake the other the exhaust.

Last edited:
The tractor was delivered back this morning.
Great!
Were due to have measureable snow fall overnight.
Dealeronly found a belt with a 1" section of rubber missing making noise but no valve lifter problem or issues.
The engine still has a faint ticking sound or lifter noise most likely due to the solid lifters in the motor.
I guess I am not going to be concerned about it.
It is running terrific.
Ran it for 40 minutes clearing snow in the road and driveway after work and it is running just fine.
Tom

The tractor was delivered back this morning.
Great!
Were due to have measureable snow fall overnight.
Dealeronly found a belt with a 1" section of rubber missing making noise but no valve lifter problem or issues.
The engine still has a faint ticking sound or lifter noise most likely due to the solid lifters in the motor.
I guess I am not going to be concerned about it.
It is running terrific.
Ran it for 40 minutes clearing snow in the road and driveway after work and it is running just fine.
Tom

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #17  
That's good they were able to get it fixed for you, I'm sure a belt with a chunk missing like that would make a funny tapping noise.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #18  
Good news! Also happy to hear that the small ticking is probably normal.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #19  
My 2320 has a a slight tappet sound but I am not concerned. As long as the sound is high your good. As mention early the heat of engine will cause tolerence to tighten. The BS engines were notorious for valve stem stretch. With -0- adjustment I would file the cam end down until tolerence is met. Be careful, little to much and the compression will jerk the rope out of your hand. But man the power was awesome. I wonder if the stems on the Yanar engine will stretch in accordance with OEM adjustment specs.
The 2320 will most likely have tappet adj. Hydraulic valve trains have less power. When i want more power out of my truck engine I went with solid lifters.

/ Yanmar Diesel " Tick in engine" / John Deere 2320 #20  
I have noticed a ticking with mine also.... Never paid any attention to it because it sounded normal ...at least for me.
Now that I think about it..... It does come and go but never noticed when it does. Off the top of my head... I thimk its mainly when the engine is cold.
I always try to start it and walk away for a few minutes..... Im hard on my tractor and dont have patience so this allows it to warm up. I found myself working to fast if i dont walk away.....lol
Live in florida.

...oh and mine has around 340 hours on it.