JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #1  

flmeade

Tractor
John Deere Skidsteer 8875
Parked skid steer on trailer and moved it inside unheated barn and next day it would not start. Very cold here in Michigan (5 degrees)so we started a fire in the wood burner and put a LP heater on the engine. Warmed everything up for hours and brought temp in building up to 40 degrees. Battery is good and spins brand new starter just fine.
Fuel pump replaced 30 days ago and also pumped out fuel tank to remove any debris and replaced fuel filter. Has been running fine and starting great after all those new parts and suddenly dead. Turns over and blows white smoke. Won't fire even with a squirt of ether which I find puzzling. All other diesel equipment we run will actually run on the ether if you keep squirting it in.
Broke open fuel line on high pressure side injector of one injector and turned engine over, it squirts out in spurts (don't know if this is normal).
Checked all fuses and have power to high pressure pump.
I've heard talk of a "thermistor" but do not know where it is or how to check it.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Hard to work on because it is in a trailer with 4 foot sides and can't get it out or raise the booms for easy access to anything.

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #2  
Did you learn anything regarding this problem? I have a machine doing the same thing. Won’t start in cold weather.

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #3  
Welcome Steflo, to TBN forum.
Make a new post and outline your problem. The OP did not get an answer to his question and has not been back in several years.
Others may see your new thread and get you some needed help.

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #4  
...have a machine doing the same thing. Won’t start in cold weather.
If you have white vapor coming out the exhaust that's fuel that didn't ignite.

Take a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer. Run it for several minutes warming the head, all over. Then aim it into the air filter intake (easiest if the intake is a snorkel). The engine will think its a nice warm day and should start normally.

This assumes that glow plugs or other starting aids, work properly, and the white vapor isn't just water in place of fuel.

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #5  
   / JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #6  
If you have white vapor coming out the exhaust that's fuel that didn't ignite.

Take a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer. Run it for several minutes warming the head, all over. Then aim it into the air filter intake (easiest if the intake is a snorkel). The engine will think its a nice warm day and should start normally.

This assumes that glow plugs or other starting aids, work properly, and the white vapor isn't just water in place of fuel.
To get it running over the winter I have to set up a ready heater on it and blast heat on it for a few hours. I was hoping there was a mechanical problem that I could fix to get away from doing this. I use the machine every few days so it's not like it sits around long. Once running, the machine runs strong. It just doesn't like starting in cold weather. I did replace the glow plug and that did not help. Is there a block heater kit that can be installed? I thought maybe that would help.

/ JD Skid Steer 8875 won't start 3cyl diesel 1997 #7