JD 870 Power Steering problem

/ JD 870 Power Steering problem #1  
Tractor
John Deere 870
Hi everyone:

My 870 has started having problems with the power steering. Cranked it up a couple weeks ago and the steering is sluggish, to say the least. Not responsive at all, at times it seems to be barely working, I turn the wheel constantly and nothing happens. Also, when engaging and disengaging the PTO, it raises and lowers very slowly. Not at all like when I first got it last year. It's a 98 model, has been running well, this is really the first problem I've had.

I'm hoping this is only a hydraulic fluid / filter issue, but I figured it would be best to ask the experts here. Is there anything else I need to look for?

The weather has been cold (for this area) for a while, which I think aggravates the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

/ JD 870 Power Steering problem #2  
I would say its a plugged filter and time for a fluid change. With the cooling and warming you could have some condensation it there.

/ JD 870 Power Steering problem
Thanks, Mike. I am pretty new to all this, but I just drained the axle/differential and now I'm wondering what color this fluid should be. It came out a light brown color, almost like chocolate milk. I can't tell yet if it has water in it, but it looks pretty bad. I bought the tractor used, obviously, so I don't know what the guy might have put in it. This color seems wrong, but this is my first hydraulic/transmission oil change on a tractor.

Brian

/ JD 870 Power Steering problem #4  
The milky appearance is caused by water contamination. The oil should be a clear amber in color. You need to remove the screen and clean it and also change the filter. The water contamination creates a slimy film over the screen that won't allow the oil to flow through very well.

Thanks, jd110. I went to my local Deere dealer today and bought 6 gallons of Hy-Gard, along with a new filter for the power steering portion of the hydraulic system. Cleaned the screen in the bottom of the axle, it was just as you said. Slimy and plugged up. Should have everything put back together tomorrow and working right.

I am concerned about how water might have contaminated the fluid, though. I should have looked more closely when I bought it, but to tell the truth, when checking the dipstick, the oil did not look cloudy at all. It was only after draining all 5.5 gallons that I noticed how cloudy it was.

Brian

Final update, everything seems to be working fine. My neighbor is a farmer with mostly Deere equipment, he advised me to run some diesel through the hydraulic system to get rid of the scum and any remaining moisture. Did as he instructed, filled up the PTO sump, and ran the tractor for about 5 minutes. You all should have seen the additional crud that came out of the sump. Cleaned the filter screen, changed the hydraulic fluid filter located forward of the left rear tire, and put in fresh Hy-Gard.

All is good. Don't think there's any damage to the hydraulic pump, but time will tell.

Brian