Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    A couple

Default Re: Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractor

I use regular viscosity Hy-Gard as I rarely use my rig in cold temps.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    JD 2520 / Ford 1710

Default Re: Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractor

The dealer here only had the Low Vis in one gal gugs. They had the normal Hy-Gard high Vis in 5 gal. So here's a question. Does the HI Vis have a red color to it? This was my first change out and the fluid removed was red and the new Low Vis was clear like a light oil color. Or is the red fluid a break in fluid that is even different stuff?

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

Quote Originally Posted by topstoy View Post
    The dealer here only had the Low Vis in one gal gugs. They had the normal Hy-Gard high Vis in 5 gal. So here's a question. Does the HI Vis have a red color to it? This was my first change out and the fluid removed was red and the new Low Vis was clear like a light oil color. Or is the red fluid a break in fluid that is even different stuff?
    The High Vis is an amber color. Like light brown honey. And the Low Vis is pretty clear. Or very light yellow when looking inside the white pail or gallon jug. I think that Deere puts a red dye tint in the factory Hyd fluid. Makes it easier to identify and locate loose fittings and hoses after installation and primary run-ups.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    JD 2520 / Ford 1710

Thanks AK! That makes sense.

Tractor
    A couple

I have some of Deere's red hydraulic fluid dye that I put in my front axle so I could read the oil level on the dipstick easier. Modern hydraulic and gas engine oils are so thin and clear that I have difficulty getting an accurate reading on the dipstick, especially if the dipstick is long like the one on my F-250 is.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I have difficulty getting an accurate reading on the dipstick
    I think I am like most folks that wipe the dipstick with a rag, then reinsert it for a more accurate level check. If you're in this group as well, you have the perfect tool in your opposite had for reading the dipstick. Press the dipstick flat against the rag so the oil transfers to the cloth, and you'll get a much better picture of how much is on the dipstick.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

I called my deere dealer talked a little and asked the price of a 5 gallon bucket of low-vis hy-guard $81.42 out the door before any exempts....

So, I phoned my bulk oil dealer. He had not had anyone ask about a low-vis tractor/hyd till me he says, He came up with 5 gal pail of chevron synthetic thf that met specs for $110.00. He is gunna get back to me on some 76 brand low-vis price a little later.
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Looks like Hy-Guard is a Chevron product

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/m4208.pdf

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

That was one thing the parts guy mentioned about Deere oils, for the most part formulated by chevron.
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    Climate isn't the only reason. When J20D (Low-Vis) is spec'd, you can also pretty much assume that the fittings/apertures/valves are sized accordingly. The thicker J20C (HyGard) might not flow as well thru them, especially when cold. If I'm not mistaken, Hygard is a 30W equivalent, and Low-Vis is a 20W equivalent. And - extreme ambient conditions notwithstanding - I'm pretty sure J20D is generally backward compatible to J20C applications, but J20C itself is not forward compatible.
    //greg//
    This is something I have been wondering about for a while. IIRC my tractor calls for oil that meets j20b, but the oil I found is rated j20c and I have been using it under the assumption that it met previous specs. I have wondered if maybe I am wrong. Either way, next time I think I am just going to go to Deere and buy the low-vis. I do get some growling from the hydraulics when it is cold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12