Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors??

/ Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Curious and wondering if anybody uses regular hy-guard or other quality THF in there 790 or 3005 model tractors...... Would it make sense that when "regular" hy-guard is used there would be less heat, noise, more positive hydraulic functions do to a little heavier but appropriate fluid ??

Surely, I cannot be the only one who does not live in an arctic climate and wonders why deere says to use low-vis hy-guard in the 790/3005 tractors in a non artic climate.

I'm coming up my service interval for my 790 and was mull'n this over as to why deere states to re-fill transmission with the stuff.

I am also out of all warranties and such were it is mandatory to do as per word of deere..... for the captain obvious club :D

Last edited:
   / Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #2  
Funny you should bring this up. I just stopped by my local dealer 2 hrs ago and picked up 4 gal of the Los Vis that they really recommended. At $25 per gal, I was in shell shock as I needed 4 gals. Add a filter and it came to $149 with tax. Wow! Yet this is my first Hydraulic oil change and I figure that it will be 7-10 years before I need to do it again. At that time I might go with something else. I feel that this is a little bit of hiway robbery but again this is my first change and I love my 2520 so what the heck!

Last edited:
   / Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors??
Thanks for the replies fellas...

I will prolly' use anouther brand of THF than deere, just because of the 25 clams per gallon.

The ol' man has logged thousands of hours with chevron THF or now called THF1000 with 0 issues. He puts it in EVERTHING from combines, tractors, differential systems, truck hoists, transfer cases of pick-ups and older front wheel drive car manual trannys to floor jacks.

In the logging equipment I operate on a daily basis gets conoco/76 brand THF. One log skidder hyd. pump acquired 15,000 hours before it was wore enough that functions became very slow with the 76 brand THF. One company here uses the 76 brand THF in ALL equipment from pick-up snowplows, JCB back-hoe to 100,000 lb. excavators..... 0 hiccups.

I will use a deere filter, as I used anouther make before and the loader seemed to do the herky/jerky thing more than with the O.E.M deere filter

/ Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #5  
Thanks for the replies fellas...

I will prolly' use anouther brand of THF than deere, just because of the 25 clams per gallon.

The ol' man has logged thousands of hours with chevron THF or now called THF1000 with 0 issues. He puts it in EVERTHING from combines, tractors, differential systems, truck hoists, transfer cases of pick-ups and older front wheel drive car manual trannys to floor jacks.

In the logging equipment I operate on a daily basis gets conoco/76 brand THF. One log skidder hyd. pump acquired 15,000 hours before it was wore enough that functions became very slow with the 76 brand THF. One company here uses the 76 brand THF in ALL equipment from pick-up snowplows, JCB back-hoe to 100,000 lb. excavators..... 0 hiccups.

I will use a deere filter, as I used anouther make before and the loader seemed to do the herky/jerky thing more than with the O.E.M deere filter

Most major brand's offer a spec sheet on the label which indicates whether or not the hyd oil, transmission fluid, engine oil meets or exceeds a particular manufacturer's specifications. That, as well as the API specifications should be sufficient clarification whether or not the hydraulic fluid you use in your 790 is A-OK.

AKfish

/ Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #6  
Surely, I cannot be the only one who does not live in an arctic climate and wonders why deere says to use low-vis hy-guard in the 790/3005 tractors in a non artic climate.
Climate isn't the only reason. When J20D (Low-Vis) is spec'd, you can also pretty much assume that the fittings/apertures/valves are sized accordingly. The thicker J20C (HyGard) might not flow as well thru them, especially when cold. If I'm not mistaken, Hygard is a 30W equivalent, and Low-Vis is a 20W equivalent. And - extreme ambient conditions notwithstanding - I'm pretty sure J20D is generally backward compatible to J20C applications, but J20C itself is not forward compatible.

That said, nothing requires you to use JD fluids. As long as they meet spec, they will be warranty-approved. I use a Rural King J20D spec trans-hydraulic fluid I in my 3720: I think it's about $3.890 per qt, or $20 for 2 gal, or $45 for 5 gal. And if you're eligible, it can also be purchased ag-exempt (no sales tax).

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #7  
I had a really bad experience using cheap, off-brand hyd. fluid, so it's only Hy-gard for me now. We changed the hydraulic fluid in our 2550 with some cheap fluid from the local tire store, might have been Warren brand, I don't recall. It said it met all the JD specs, etc. After a few hours use the seals around the lower link arms started leaking, the shortly there after the seals in the rockshaft assy went out forcing a complete rebuild, then shortly there after the seals hydrostatic power steering went out. Changed the oil back to Hy-gard and will never using anything but from now on. ( I use Kubota UDT for my Kubota and the Ford/NH oil for my NAA)

FWIW, it's generally cheaper to buy the oil by the 5gal pail. It is still less than $100/5gal for regular Hy-gard here, it might have been closer to $80.

/ Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #8  
Climate isn't the only reason. When J20D (Low-Vis) is spec'd, you can also pretty much assume that the fittings/apertures/valves are sized accordingly. The thicker J20C (HyGard) might not flow as well thru them, especially when cold. If I'm not mistaken, Hygard is a 30W equivalent, and Low-Vis is a 20W equivalent. And - extreme ambient conditions notwithstanding - I'm pretty sure J20D is generally backward compatible to J20C applications, but J20C itself is not forward compatible.

That said, nothing requires you to use JD fluids. As long as they meet spec, they will be warranty-approved. I use a Rural King J20D spec trans-hydraulic fluid I in my 3720: I think it's about $3.890 per qt, or $20 for 2 gal, or $45 for 5 gal. And if you're eligible, it can also be purchased ag-exempt (no sales tax).

//greg//

I agree, the Low Vis is "prefered" by JD for a reason. I used a JD20C in my x748 hydro once, and it made a growling noise. I drained it all out right away and put Low Vis (JD20D) back in.
There are farmers around here that use JD low vis in their NON JD stuff because they think it works better.

Gregg, if I'm not mistaken the low vis might actually be a multi grade 10W-30. I can't remember... That would explain why it is recommended always by JD.

I still haven't quite wrapped my brain around why we are supposed to use it in the front axles in the new CUTs. Seems odd. My X748 calls for 85-90 gear lube.

EDIT:

I think I WAS mistaken, it doesn't appear that low vis is a "multi Grade"
Looks like low vis is ISO viscosity 32, and Hy Guard is somewhere around ISO 50. according to the JD website
The low vis has a -50 deg pour point...pretty **** good for cold weather.

Last edited:
   / Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #9  
One of the first tractors I owned in Alaska was a JD 970 TLB. Great tractor - loved it! I was the 2nd owner. Fellow brought it up from the lower 48 states to build his house with, etc. He used it during the summer months to work on his place whenever he had the chance - contractor and spent alot of time all over the state working - tractor sat all winter.

Nonetheless, the first time I fired the tractor up @ -10F - the power steering squealed and turned like a knife jammed to the bottom of a 1 gallon tub of peanut butter! And it took a count to 3 for the tractor to want to move after letting the clutch out!

He didn't change out the J20C.

I sure did! :eek:

AKfish

/ Switch from low-viscosity hy-guard to regular hy-guard or thf in 3005/790 tractors?? #10  
...FWIW, it's generally cheaper to buy the oil by the 5gal pail. It is still less than $100/5gal for regular Hy-gard here, it might have been closer to $80.

I bought two 5-gallon pails today and they were $83.21 each at the JD dealer in Medford, OR.

No sales tax in OR also...