Need advice for trailering a 2305

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305
stlbill,

I have a 16' trailer from Jerry James that I've had since 2004. It's been perfect for hauling my tractor with attachments plus I've hauled a few other tractors and cars with it as well. He will custom build to suit and his prices are reasonable. Not sure how far he is from you.

Welcome to Jerry James Trailers

Scott, does your trailer have the full tailgate ramp in the back or just the 2 ramps that is stored underneath the trailer? I'm kind of questioning myself if the full tailgate ramp could end up being an issue even if it is a 16' trailer. In other words, from your experience, have you ever needed an extra foot for implement sticking out the back of your trailer? Everyone are welcome to chime in.

Henri

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #22  
Hi Henri,
No I don't have the tailgate ramp just the 2 that store under. Works good for me because I load wood pellets on it in the fall, I can get 3 ton on the trailer with a pallet jack. The 16' has been perfect length for me and I've also hauled my nephews 2305 with loader and backhoe without issue. My brother in-law and another friend bought 2 trailers from JJ and had them stretched to 18'. They drove 16 hours each way and still saved a significant amount of $ from the prices they got around here.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305
Tx Scott! Exactly what I wanted to know.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #24  
I have a similar question about trailering a 2305, but it's more around getting away with using my existing trailer, and not really about getting another trailer. Here's my situation ...

Bottom line: I'm trying to determine if I can trailer my John Deere 2305 tractor ... to and from a dealer ... for service or when taking it anywhere other than my property. I don't expect this to happen often, but I would like to be able to get it in for service if/when it needs something beyond my personal maintenance capabilities.

I have an aluminum, 5.5' x 10', single-axle trailer with a GVWR of 2990 pounds. The trailer has a tilt bed, so getting the tractor on wouldn't be an issue. I don't have a tractor manual (yet), so I had to call/look around for specs on the tractor. In talking with a dealer, the guy I talked to said the weight of the tractor (without the bucket or weight box) was about 1400 pounds. Looking online, that appears to be the shipping weight (1450 pounds). The operating weight provided online is 1865 pounds.

Now, if I remove everything on the tractor (FEL w/arms, weight box, and iMatch quick hitch ... all very easy to do), that should equal about the 1865 stated. Rounding up to 2000 pounds (just because), and removing the sides of my aluminum trailer (which are wood and fit into side slots at either end of the trailer ... I would use those for ratcheting down the tractor), I'm certainly well within the GVWR of the trailer. I mean, I'm at least 990 pounds (if not over 1000 pounds) UNDER the stated GVWR. That said, it just makes me nervous pulling something that large around on what, to me, seems like a small trailer. I know the tractor will fit ... it's only about 4 feet wide and a maximum of 8 feet long (even counting the arms from the 3 point hitch setup).

So ... am I nuts in considering this or not? Like I said, I don't really plan on trailering the tractor around much ... but I really don't want to have to pay big money to transport my tractor for service if I don't have to. Thoughts??

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #25  
I have a similar question about trailering a 2305, but it's more around getting away with using my existing trailer, and not really about getting another trailer. Here's my situation ...

Bottom line: I'm trying to determine if I can trailer my John Deere 2305 tractor ... to and from a dealer ... for service or when taking it anywhere other than my property. I don't expect this to happen often, but I would like to be able to get it in for service if/when it needs something beyond my personal maintenance capabilities.

I have an aluminum, 5.5' x 10', single-axle trailer with a GVWR of 2990 pounds. The trailer has a tilt bed, so getting the tractor on wouldn't be an issue. I don't have a tractor manual (yet), so I had to call/look around for specs on the tractor. In talking with a dealer, the guy I talked to said the weight of the tractor (without the bucket or weight box) was about 1400 pounds. Looking online, that appears to be the shipping weight (1450 pounds). The operating weight provided online is 1865 pounds.

Now, if I remove everything on the tractor (FEL w/arms, weight box, and iMatch quick hitch ... all very easy to do), that should equal about the 1865 stated. Rounding up to 2000 pounds (just because), and removing the sides of my aluminum trailer (which are wood and fit into side slots at either end of the trailer ... I would use those for ratcheting down the tractor), I'm certainly well within the GVWR of the trailer. I mean, I'm at least 990 pounds (if not over 1000 pounds) UNDER the stated GVWR. That said, it just makes me nervous pulling something that large around on what, to me, seems like a small trailer. I know the tractor will fit ... it's only about 4 feet wide and a maximum of 8 feet long (even counting the arms from the 3 point hitch setup).

So ... am I nuts in considering this or not? Like I said, I don't really plan on trailering the tractor around much ... but I really don't want to have to pay big money to transport my tractor for service if I don't have to. Thoughts??

GVWR is the gross vehicle weight rating, not the capacity. In other words, it is the maximum that the loaded trailer can weigh. So if the trailer weighs 1000# (Just a WAG) and has a 3000# GVWR, you can only load 2000# onto it.

It sounds like you'd very close to the limit for this trailer. The only way to know for sure would be to run it over some scales and get some weights.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #26  
Also, you'll have a hard time properly strapping the tractor down if it covers almost the entire length of the trailer deck.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #27  
I don't see a problem. Unless you find you can't get an appropriate tongue weight it should be fine. Unless there is a balance problem I don't see a reason to obsess over a few hundred pounds over or under the capacity, especially for occasional use.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #28  
If you are over GVWR, you are really opening yourself up liability-wise in the event of an accident. Trailer brakes are important to have as well, not necessarily mandatory, but nice to have.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #29  
I'm with KennyG, and would give it a go, just drive slow and be careful with timing so the traffic is less of a problem.
Might need to fashion some tie-downs to assure the tractor won't move if/when braking. For sure, no fast corners.
Just use common sense... and don't attract any cops by skipping "how it looks".

A pic of your trailer with the tractor on it would be helpful, if just for practice and nothing else. You will get a good idea what it looks like, feels like, and how the trailer springs look once loaded.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #30  
How about a practice run? Load it up, strap it down and haul it around the block. That way you will know if it fits and you have enough rigging. And while your at it, figure out how you will get it from the back yard and onto the trailer with the engine not running or the drive wheels locked up.