Need advice for trailering a 2305

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #31  
Welcome to TBN. :welcome: It is good that you are already concerned and asking others for advice. In your own words you want to "get away with it". Think about how much money you have invested in the tractor and the tow vehicle. While it might work is it worth the risk? Why risk it to save money on the cheapest part of the towing process, the trailer or better yet the tiedowns.

I bought a new Big Tex 14' two axle 7000# trailer with brakes and a ramp for $2250 (before trade) to tow my new Kawasaki Mule. I traded in my smaller 5'X8' single axle that was at the limits towing the $10,000 Mule behind my $45,000 (back in 2003) pickup. Again your trailer is the cheapest part of the towing process. Get a bigger trailer and you won't worry every time you trailer it.

You also won't end up in this thread. :laughing:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s-people-hauling-towing.html?highlight=towing

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #32  
I have a similar question about trailering a 2305, but it's more around getting away with using my existing trailer, and not really about getting another trailer. Here's my situation ... Bottom line: I'm trying to determine if I can trailer my John Deere 2305 tractor ... to and from a dealer ... for service or when taking it anywhere other than my property. I don't expect this to happen often, but I would like to be able to get it in for service if/when it needs something beyond my personal maintenance capabilities. I have an aluminum, 5.5' x 10', single-axle trailer with a GVWR of 2990 pounds. The trailer has a tilt bed, so getting the tractor on wouldn't be an issue. I don't have a tractor manual (yet), so I had to call/look around for specs on the tractor. In talking with a dealer, the guy I talked to said the weight of the tractor (without the bucket or weight box) was about 1400 pounds. Looking online, that appears to be the shipping weight (1450 pounds). The operating weight provided online is 1865 pounds. Now, if I remove everything on the tractor (FEL w/arms, weight box, and iMatch quick hitch ... all very easy to do), that should equal about the 1865 stated. Rounding up to 2000 pounds (just because), and removing the sides of my aluminum trailer (which are wood and fit into side slots at either end of the trailer ... I would use those for ratcheting down the tractor), I'm certainly well within the GVWR of the trailer. I mean, I'm at least 990 pounds (if not over 1000 pounds) UNDER the stated GVWR. That said, it just makes me nervous pulling something that large around on what, to me, seems like a small trailer. I know the tractor will fit ... it's only about 4 feet wide and a maximum of 8 feet long (even counting the arms from the 3 point hitch setup). So ... am I nuts in considering this or not? Like I said, I don't really plan on trailering the tractor around much ... but I really don't want to have to pay big money to transport my tractor for service if I don't have to. Thoughts??

Works for me. I would love to have the trailer! It is so late, and you can push it around by hand no doubt. How much does it weigh?

One thing you might want to consider is buying a new axle which has brakes on it. They are not that expensive, and that would make a big difference.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #33  
I'm more concerned with the tow vehicle to be used than the trailer??

You are under the trailer capacity. As Kenny said, if you can get balance is the next question.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #34  
One thing you might want to consider is buying a new axle which has brakes on it. They are not that expensive, and that would make a big difference.

Actually you don't need to replace the axle. You can just replace the existing hubs with brakes and drums if you have a standard trailer axle with a bolting flange, which you probably do.