Need advice for trailering a 2305

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #1  

Henri88

Platinum Member
Tractor
2008 JD 2305, 1000hrs
Would like to have some feedback on this trailer for sale in my region. I have not seen it yet as it is 150 mile from me. It is an aluminum trailer with galvanize wheels, 15" tires and tore flex single axle 3500 lbs. It is advertise as being 12' x 6' but the owner said it is more like 11.6 x 5.6 ID so the size should do unless you guys think otherwise. It is not a manufacture trailer but it is build by a local welding shop and they have been doing it for some time now so I'm not too worry about quality. I live by the sea so galvanize or aluminum is a must and I don't want to go to big for a trailer. So here are my concern, galvanize was my first choice, but I am not to familiar with aluminum. Will it be strong enough and could it be problematic with time, also would a single axle do the trick or should I go with double and is 3500 lbs axle rated high enough for a 2305. The total weight of the tractor and fel plus the ballast box is 2700 lbs. So here it is, any info, concern or advice would be greatly appreciated. Will try to add the link. Henri

2012 6x12 Utility trailer

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #2  
Nice looking trailer. IMO, probably too little capacity and length. Greater length gives you the ability to position the machine for best tongue weight. Not sure if it has brakes or not, but that is really smart to have.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305
Nice looking trailer. IMO, probably too little capacity and length. Greater length gives you the ability to position the machine for best tongue weight. Not sure if it has brakes or not, but that is really smart to have.

You are absolutely right. I just got back from measuring my JD with the blower and the ballast box and I have 14' total. I kind of expected more like 12'. I been using a 10' trailer for moving it around, but never with the fel or the blower, never had the need to. I could put the bucket over the front rail but this is where I could have a problem with the tongue weight. If I'm going to buy a new to me trailer, I might as well do it right.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #4  
Single axle trailers bounce too much for me. I would rather have a tandem axle trailer. I hauled my 2305 with a tiller or mower for a long time on a 14 foot trailer and always thought I could get by with a 12 but the extra length sure was nice for positioning. Watch the height of the trailer, with any attachment on the 2305 does not have much clearance for making the grade changes from ground to ramp to trailer.

Single axle trailers bounce too much for me. I would rather have a tandem axle trailer. I hauled my 2305 with a tiller or mower for a long time on a 14 foot trailer and always thought I could get by with a 12 but the extra length sure was nice for positioning. Watch the height of the trailer, with any attachment on the 2305 does not have much clearance for making the grade changes from ground to ramp to trailer.

Bigtiller, did you had breaks on your 14' trailer when transporting your 2305?

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #6  
Bigtiller, did you had breaks on your 14' trailer when transporting your 2305?

Yes, it had breaks on all 4 wheels.

I needed to stop a 19' bass boat in a hurry once with no breaks on it years ago. I got lucky. But I also decided breaks on trailers is a good thing.

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #7  
Henri,
I have a 12' trailer to move my x749 with a fold up rear ramp. With some rear implements I have to remove the front weights to make the overall length short enough to close the rear gate. I would go with a 14 or 16 ft low floor carhauler trailer with tandem axles. This would be large enough to haul tractor and implements but more importantly will be alot easier to backup imo.

Yes, it had breaks on all 4 wheels.

I needed to stop a 19' bass boat in a hurry once with no breaks on it years ago. I got lucky. But I also decided breaks on trailers is a good thing.

I am now looking for a 14' trailer with double axle but brakes only on one axle. Was hoping that it would do the job.

Henri,
I have a 12' trailer to move my x749 with a fold up rear ramp. With some rear implements I have to remove the front weights to make the overall length short enough to close the rear gate. I would go with a 14 or 16 ft low floor carhauler trailer with tandem axles. This would be large enough to haul tractor and implements but more importantly will be alot easier to backup imo.

Feels good to know that you recommend a 14' or 16' as I was still questioning myself if I could manage with a 12'. Thanks!

/ Need advice for trailering a 2305 #10  
Henri,

I have a 16' double axle trailer. It's has plenty of room for my tractor with the loader and ballast box plus enough room for the box blade behind the ballast box.

Sorry but I'm not FedExing it to you ;)