3-Point Hitch priming hydraulic pump at pto

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #1  

AC orange

Tractor
Allis Chalmers B
I have a a 1953 Allis Chalmers. Does the hydraulic pump at the pto need to be primed for it to work properly? I added fluid because the lift would not work. After I added the fluid it works very slow if at all. The fluid is foamy and milky. Any advice would be great.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #2  
i think your rear end /transmission. and your PTO and hyd pump all use the same fluid.

the first time you start the tractor up for the day,
you will need to fully extend and fully contract the cylinders a few dozen times.
shut things down wait a few hours and then turn it back on and re-cycle the cylinders (fully contract/extend) and that should work.

the shutting down and letting tractor set for a few hours, is to allow any air that gets mixed into the hyd oil, to float up and out. and not get re-mixed into the hyd oil.

================
the hyd pump, most likely has some knobs on it, that will adjust a couple things. for the allis CA i have, different configurations of setting these knobs, will control how fast hyd oil is pumped, how fast hyd cylinder will contract, and you might have some sort of traction boost for pulling a plow or like. if these knobs get messed up. you can loose power to the cylinders, to a point that it seems they are acting extremely slow.

i want to say...
AGCO Parts Books
click on "guess account"
i want to say allis chalmers is listed as agco allis i do not remember if it is just parts, or if they have a operators manual listed that goes over the hyd pump knobs.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto
If I had to contract the cylinders a few dozen times it would never happen. It takes 5 minutes for it to go up and then it takes 5 minutes to go down and that is if it decides to work. I don't have any adjustment knobs that I can see. In only have the bolts holding everything together and what looks to be a priming bolt that you might see on a well pump.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #4  
you have a single acting hyd cylinder and single acting hyd pump. meaning hyd oil is only used to extend the hyd cylinder. and it rely on weight / gravity to contract the cylinder. no weight means cylinder does not contract. ((remember ya talking a 1950's tractor, one of the first few tractors mass produced)) with the lever on hyd pump down, you should be able to grab ahold of the rod end of cylinder and push it, into the cylinder, though you may have to use some force.

you should have 2 levers, one were you push in foot clutch, and engage the PTO, it also turns on the hyd pump
the other lever, controls how fast the hyd cylinder extends, and controls how fast it contracts (WHEN there is enough weight to cause the hyd cylinder to contract)

AGCO Parts Books
guess account
search for ""B"" ""agco allis"
return search results you should see... "B / IB / C TRACTOR; POWER UNIT - B125 / 60H"
scroll down on left side, and you should see hydraulic listings.

i am seeing one thumb/hand screw to adjust the lever position.
and then some place between hyd pump and cylinder, a "block" with another thumb/hand screw to adjust how fast HYD oil is pumped into the single acting cylinder (from pictures this block is not located on the hyd pump itself). this might have been accidentally hit and turned.

========
keep checking the rear end hyd oil level. as you work out the air, the oil level will go down.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto
Thanks for your information........it will be very helpful. It looks like I have the original pump and a very newer pump cylinder with newer modifications......

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #6  
BOZO MOMENT! push the throttle up and get the engine RPMs up there. *been there done that* setting at idle. and looking behind me and thinking What the.... on these old tractors hyd pump is ran off the main PTO shaft, more RPMs = faster the hyd pump works.

it should only take 2 to 4 fully extends / contracting of cylinder to work out most of all the air. it is the extra times, that works out the smaller air bubbles. and gets the cylinder to work at full lifting capacity.

if ya get past that, and still no go, then i would say time to start tearing things apart.

experience has taught me order over internet is good amount cheaper, vs going through a local tractor store. at least for the old allis CA i have.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #7  
same problem

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #8  
My hydraulics went to the top but would not come down now it has leaked down and won't go back up.Any ideas?

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #9  
:welcome: to TBN

Just FYI, you are in the Deere board (forum) on TBN, and may miss some knowledge for the Allis here. But maybe not, so hang tight with the question.

/ priming hydraulic pump at pto #10  
My hydraulics went to the top but would not come down now it has leaked down and won't go back up.Any ideas?

dis engage the PTO / mower deck. should be a little lever right hand side, near the up.down for the hydraulics. make sure you push in the clutch before moving the lever. generally i need to... come to a full stop.
1--push clutch in
2--push brakes in
3--come to a full stop
4--((KEEP clutch in))
5--wait a few seconds for things to slow down
6--pull lever to engage / dis-engauge (PTO / hyd pump / mower deck pulley)
7--release clutch all the way
--some times i need to slowly release clutch as i pull on the lever to engage / dis-engauge pto/etc...
--the hand lever on right hand side is not efficient in engaging / dis engaging the clutch. you need to use foot pedal clutch. though this is from person that has never cared to properly adjust the right hand side lever. (never cared to tear apart final drive rear end to adjust it correctly)

the single acting hydraulic cylinder/s should go down, heck you should be able to move them by hand. push/pull the rod/s on the hydraulic cylinders without much fuss. beyond dealing with weight of each hydraulic cylinder. ((assumption nothing is connect to the hyd cylinder/s)) when the up/down lever (attached to hyd pump) is in the down position. it should not matter if pto/hyd pump / mower deck is engauged. as long as the up/down lever is all the way down.

===============
there are 3 knobs on the hydraulic pump.
1 on top in front of the up/down lever.
1 on the back bottom-ish area
1 on the side towards right tire near back of the pump

it has been some time since i looked at the knobs on the hydraulic pump. and even longer since i looked at manual for hyd pump.

1 of the knobs has a little plate you can move back and forth and the plate has a "detent" in it. if memory serves this serves in locking in the "traction control" the bar that connects towards backside of the hyd pump. and runs down by the larger spring under the tractor.

i completely forgotten what the other 2 knobs on the pump do.

===============
the hyd pump is fairly simply. there are a few "check valves" or rather i should say springs with a metal ball.

if you do end up taking hyd pump apart. there is a spool valves (little pipe shape pieces) make sure you get correct order of them. as you pull them out / put them back together.

there are 3 seals. 1 between pto casing and pump, 1 between valve top and hyd pump, and 1 on between pump and the traction control on the back side.
--the traction control might be a "blank" just a plate. vs actual traction control box thing.

when i tore the hyd pump on the CA i had apart. there was a large amount of junk in everything. dirt / dust / etc... i want to say i had to replace 1 or 2 of the check valve "balls" due to being worn out, and no longer completely closing off holes when engaged. little groves were worn into the ball's.

================
the CA i have. has 2 hyd cylinders (single acting or rather only a single hose attached to each hydraulic cylinder). normally belly mower / mid mount mower is attached. and the second hyd cylinder. i lock out via rear lifting arms. (makes it quicker to lower/raise) the deck.

when i goto place say a bottom plow, disc, or even a post hole digger on the rear end. i need to pull the mower deck off. and undo a couple pins to pull the hyd cylinder going to mower deck, and position it so it works the other side of the rear lift arms.