JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #1  

70stang

Tractor
John Deere 2720
I have a 2011 2720 JD with a 54 Snow Blower. This weekend Connecticut received a big snow storm. I always check fluids very closely before heading out into such a large storm. Some of the snow drifts I had to move were over 7 feet tall. JD really should increase the height of this front mounted blower.
Anyway, I always check Transmission/Hydraulic fluid by both the site glass and the dip stick. When I stated out the site glass was almost to the top (just a small bubble) and the dip stick showed about 1/8 inch below the FULL mark.
8 hours of Run time later, and 4 hours of cooling off, parked in the same spot in the garage the site glass is now in the middle and the dip stick shows about 3/8 inch below the FULL mark. Based on å…¸op off experience I estimate about ï½¼ of a quart disappeared during that 8 hours of run time.
I looked over the entire tractor and could not find any evidence of a fluid leak. I still have the break oil in the transmission, I just approaching 50 hours and will be doing the change in the spring.
However I have never heard of a machine or owned a machine that ç*¥sed Transmission oil.

Anyone have any ideas where the oil went?

I second thing I noticed when blowing snow hard (chute going full bore, I wish the chute was bigger) occasionally I smell something getting hot, almost a burning smell, I back off for a little bit and the smell disappears. I first noticed this smell with the tiller last fall and I thought it was the clutch on the tiller. Now I am think it is something on the tractor.

Has anybody else had this experience?

Attachments

• Need a bigger blower.JPG
    Need a bigger blower.JPG
    892.4 KB · Views: 518
   / JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #2  
Find a scenario to measure the oil in the glass without any different variables and you will then know if you have a leak.

I check mine only when cold before start up and it is always in the same spot with a small bubble at the top. Check it again when stone cold....

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #3  
I have a 2720 & 54" blower also. Was your blower resting on the floor both times? If your blower was raised and the chute turned all the way it could result in some extra consumption by the two front-mounted hydraulic cylinders?

My sight glass is all over the place. One time it's full the next empty. It seems you must have the tractor perfectly level and leave it sit a long time for an accurate measurement. Which for your example, 4 hours would seem plenty.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower
I have a 2720 & 54" blower also. Was your blower resting on the floor both times? If your blower was raised and the chute turned all the way it could result in some extra consumption by the two front-mounted hydraulic cylinders?

My sight glass is all over the place. One time it's full the next empty. It seems you must have the tractor perfectly level and leave it sit a long time for an accurate measurement. Which for your example, 4 hours would seem plenty.

I am aware the Hydralic cylinders draw from the oil volume. I always park the tractor with snowblower on the floor , chute turned to the right. 3pt hitch with weight box up all the way. Therefore I eally do fell I am performing a proper comparison. I have also read to only check when cold.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #5  
I am aware the Hydralic cylinders draw from the oil volume. I always park the tractor with snowblower on the floor , chute turned to the right. 3pt hitch with weight box up all the way. Therefore I eally do fell I am performing a proper comparison. I have also read to only check when cold.

Shouldn't the 3 pt hitch be lowered to check fluid level? I think the manual says to lower everything.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower
Shouldn't the 3 pt hitch be lowered to check fluid level? I think the manual says to lower everything.

Yes, the manaul says lowered for an accurate check. Personnelly I have not seen the height of the 3 point to make much difference in fluid levels.
The FEL cylinders make a big differecnce.
However my point I am check the oil in the same position everytime I use the tractor.
This past weekends snow storm the tractor worked hard and I suddenly saw a difference in the fluid level.
The JD manaul does not say anything about the dipstick, however I think the dipstick is much more accurate then the site glass.
The site glass is only good when the tractor has sat for a lenghty period of time.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #7  
The JD manaul does not say anything about the dipstick, however I think the dipstick is much more accurate then the site glass.
The site glass is only good when the tractor has sat for a lenghty period of time.

I agree. I'm not sure why the manual makes no mention of the dipstick. I initially discovered it from a YouTube video. Then again, given the difficult access of the dipstick perhaps JD wanted to avoid injuring the hands and fingers of new owners. :) One of my pet projects once the weather warms up is to extend the handle slightly on mine so it becomes usable.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #8  
Agreed, you don't have to worry about it. Your oil is not going no where, unless you have a leak, and this, you would notice it pretty quickly. As jgayman have said, sometime it will be either top, middle or bottom of the site glass.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #9  
Hi 70stang,
I have a ccy sx3100 twin model to you jd2720. After reading about the dipstick for the hydro fluid i went to take a look at my tractor and couldn't see anything.
My manual only states to check via site glass. Could you tell me where the dipstick is on your model or take a pic for me. Don't think i have one but would be nice to know for sure. That was one **** of a storm we got this past weekend. 8 hours of driveway clean up!!!!
Thanks for any help you can give.

/ JD 2720 Hydralic Fluid & Snow Blower #10  
Hi 70stang,
I have a ccy sx3100 twin model to you jd2720. After reading about the dipstick for the hydro fluid i went to take a look at my tractor and couldn't see anything.
My manual only states to check via site glass. Could you tell me where the dipstick is on your model or take a pic for me. Don't think i have one but would be nice to know for sure. That was one **** of a storm we got this past weekend. 8 hours of driveway clean up!!!!
Thanks for any help you can give.