Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #1  

Rmd8136

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 5065e MFWD
For you knowledgeable guys, is the JD MX6 as good as BH 296? Is appears the 296 is heavier duty as it can cut 3 inch material. It looks like it had 2 tail wheels . The blade access looks better. It they can be had at same price, which is better ?

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #2  
JD has had problems with shafts breaking, and no replacement of the individual parts. As the owner of a MX6 worrying about if, or when, the shaft will break, I won't be purchasing any more JD cutters. That said, it hasn't broken yet and I have been perfectly happy with the way it has performed to date, including the use of cutting down saplings 3" or more.

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #3  
JD has had problems with shafts breaking, and no replacement of the individual parts. As the owner of a MX6 worrying about if, or when, the shaft will break, I won't be purchasing any more JD cutters. That said, it hasn't broken yet and I have been perfectly happy with the way it has performed to date, including the use of cutting down saplings 3" or more.

I recall the same issue being discussed here. Gear box drive shaft failure. Seem to recall a difference between mowers built in Mexico versus Canada built. Don't remember which was the bad one, though. Also, are the newer versions built in China? Have not heard if the newest generation suffers from the same shaft failure.

AKfish

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #4  
I recall the same issue being discussed here. Gear box drive shaft failure. Seem to recall a difference between mowers built in Mexico versus Canada built. Don't remember which was the bad one, though. Also, are the newer versions built in China? Have not heard if the newest generation suffers from the same shaft failure.

AKfish

Yep, I have one of the MX6's with the gear box made in Spain (the faulty one). The new ones have a China made gear box without problems. Cost to change to the new gear box is around $1,500 and I have worried about whether mine will fail. I have decided to move on and if it does break then just fix it, reasoniing that while I am not happy about it $1500 won't by another good mower either. Lesser of a few evils I guess.

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #5  
Unless, you buy a semi-mount MX-8, Steve... I'd bet your 4520 would just sing with an MX-8!! :thumbsup: Semi-mount would give you that added flexibility cornering and tight spots and less scalping than with a 3pt mount. Plus, there's alot less weight hanging off the back axles!

AKfish

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #6  
I run my 709 as if it's a semi-mount because I haven't figured out how to attach the top hook on my HF quick hitch to the center link bracket on the 709.

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #7  
I run my 709 as if it's a semi-mount because I haven't figured out how to attach the top hook on my HF quick hitch to the center link bracket on the 709.

For all the iron in those '09 series you could build 2 MX mowers! :laughing:

AKfish

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #8  
Unless, you buy a semi-mount MX-8, Steve... I'd bet your 4520 would just sing with an MX-8!! :thumbsup: Semi-mount would give you that added flexibility cornering and tight spots and less scalping than with a 3pt mount. Plus, there's alot less weight hanging off the back axles!

AKfish

Larry,
Fortunately for me I don't use my MX6 much, maybe one or two jobs a year so it is 8 years old with about 30 acres of cutting use. It is there if I need it but mostly it is yard art.

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #9  
For you knowledgeable guys, is the JD MX6 as good as BH 296? Is appears the 296 is heavier duty as it can cut 3 inch material. It looks like it had 2 tail wheels . The blade access looks better. It they can be had at same price, which is better ?

In a word NO! Two tailwheels (BH) is an option. For same price BUSH HOG!

/ Bush Hog 296 compared to MX6 #10  
Yep, I have one of the MX6's with the gear box made in Spain (the faulty one). The new ones have a China made gear box without problems. Cost to change to the new gear box is around $1,500 and I have worried about whether mine will fail. I have decided to move on and if it does break then just fix it, reasoniing that while I am not happy about it $1500 won't by another good mower either. Lesser of a few evils I guess.

I have a MX6 with Chinese gear box and a broken shaft where the retainer ring was cut into hold the shaft in place. estimated 20 hours total use and was cutting level grass when broke.
Purchased a Bush hog 286 and have been satisfied it will work. Those after 2010 have 2year warranty. Bush hog it is 10 year .
My MX6 still sitting on junk pile awaiting a $1200 decision at to sell for junk or make a rock boat out of it,
ken