5045e

/ 5045e #1  

loxahatcheeman

Tractor
5045e
Hello all. I'm brand new to the forum so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a new JD 5045e but had a few questions for the guys that use this equipment all the time.

The tractor is really more than I need now, but I plan to move to a larger property (20-40 acres) in a few years. I understand the gov is mandating a bunch of EPA crap on the tractors starting very soon so I wanted to avoid that junk if possible.

Is it possible to get higher power (the powertech 3029 is used in 5045e-5075e tractors) through injector pump adjustments? Or is it more hardware related such as turbo size, etc? I don't need the extra power now, but it would be nice to be able to "tune-up" in the future if I need it.

Also, is it possible to run these engines on used motor oil or bio-diesel? I have a wonderful old military truck that I can burn almost anything in... motor oil, trans oil, hydraulic fluid, heating oil, etc... It would be great to be able to do the same thing in a pinch if need be.

Thanks in advance

/ 5045e #2  
:welcome: Someone should chime in pretty soon.

/ 5045e #3  
I have just 100 hours on mine so am still on the honeymoon with her. Changing power involves quite a bit including different turbochargers and injector pump settings. It can be done best and cheapest by choosing what power level you will need and buying that to begin with. What is the biggest thing you want to do with it. For example my 5045E has 37 horsepower at the PTO shaft, that's not enough to run many 5ft round balers today so if I wanted to get into haying with the labor saving round bales I should have opted up for a 5065E.
There is a whole page in the owners manual about bio-diesel. Basically you can use blends sold commercially up to b-20 if you add some conditioners but expect a reduction in power output. Used motor oil will not work nor will straight pressed vegetable oil.
Here are some pics of mine.
070712085235tractorview.jpg
092212170453_zps3f410163.jpg
011613135632_zps7385ebc2.jpg