Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!
Thats the one.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #13  
Looking at the background in some of the pics everything looks neat and tidy . That is a good sign .

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #14  
Thats the one.

Looks REAL nice! That with a blower on it would be unstoppable. You're getting a near new 2520 with a loader, pallet forks and a mower for probably $15,000, thats the way to buy a tractor. If you think about it, a new X748 just with a mower, would be nearly the same price out the door. I would offer $14,000 and see if he meets you in the middle at $15,000. Good luck

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #15  
Be sure to ask him about normal maintenance that has bee done. Especially the initial hydraulic/tranny oil change out that should have been done around 50 hrs. And if he at that time pulled the susction screen and cleared it of the "break in" metal filings.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #16  
He might not know that one. My dealer threw in the 50 hour service in the purchase price. I watched the technician do it, but not that carefully.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #17  
If that is what I wanted, and the price is right, I am sure he might come down if he is moving. I would be all over it. 177 hrs is not even broke in. Even if he missed the hyd. service, it is not hurt. By the way it looks and the other stuff in the picture, I bet it has been took care of. Mowing and plowing a little snow had nt hurt it none. I have seen alot higher hour equipment with alot of mis abuse that wouldnt scare me after a good checking out. LUTT

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!!
ya im going to check what everyone is saying to check and see what maintenence history he has. Sounds like it has been taken care of.

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #19  
Take your time inspecting and driving. Be polite but make sure you drive it, back it, cycle the loader a bunch of times. Run the throttle up to pto speed, and keep it there for several minutes. Should not be much visible exhaust, but if there is may not mean anything big - just a little water in fuel. Try the mower, other attachments. Yeah, hook on to them. Just use every feature, and think carefully about the tractor and what feels right and what doesn't. If it were me, I'd read the users manual online, and research other issues with that model. If you are familiar with the tractor from the operators manual, it will be easier to focus on evaluating soundness. At least it would for me. Drive it all the way down the drive and back if he's got the space, several times if it is a short drive. Once it is up to operating temp, park it on concrete or clean gravel and look for leaks. Agree with other posters here that it is likely sound, but why not be thorough?

It is easy to get caught up in the interaction with the seller. I don't mean to be patronizing, just trying to help. Be friendly, and systematically go through everything and ask questions about it. You are not a tire kicker, and it is a big investment, and he's got an hour for a serious buyer. Enjoy the process of checking it out, and if you raise chickens take him a dozen eggs or something. Definitely offer less, that's just part of the program, but I have no clue on values of machines that size. It seems a little high but the tractor market - at least in the ag sector- has stayed strong all along because of high commodity prices. There is an art to getting a good value that is fair for both parties. No harm is starting a little on the low side, but you have to know values to judge that. Depends on how much a couple grand means to you. Have fun with it-

/ Im so close to being a John Deere owner!!!! #20  
There used to be a concern regarding old / new style lift arms on the 3pth. Old ones may rub tires - new ones don't. Maybe a 2520 owner or JD store can clarify what to look for and if that was still a concern for 09 models.

Here is a picture of the new style (on the tractor) and old style draft arms for comparison. This is a fairly big issue if you will be using three-point attachments because the arms are about $300 apiece. IMG_1362.jpg

It will work with the old ones, but having them rub on the tires is annoying. Might be a good bargaining chip.